British Language? we don't have one!

Damian South   Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:45 pm GMT
wanna join me and try to make a British language? We only have ENGLISH, SCOTS GAELIC AND WELSH! what about mixing them all into one language?
so we can make BRITISH! instead of English! And English has been taken over by Americans. Do you know any good links? I need some dictionaries! English/Welsh, English/Scottish Gaelic, English/Cornish, English/Old English, English/Scots....... I want to make British the official language in Britain so it will be a fair language for all people. So all British can say it's their language and it belongs to them.
Jim C, Eofforwic   Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:11 pm GMT
http://www.yorksj.ac.uk/dialect

hahah, erm good luck.
Uriel   Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:03 pm GMT
What, you don't want to talk to the rest of us anymore? How sad, Damian!
Damian South   Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:31 pm GMT
what????????????
Uriel   Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:26 pm GMT
You start mixing in the Gaelic and the Cornish and the Welsh and the rest of us Americans, Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders, South Africans, Jamaicans, etc. will be staring quizzically at the screen.... ;)
Damian South   Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:30 pm GMT
You start mixing in the Gaelic and the Cornish and the Welsh and the rest of us Americans, Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders, South Africans, Jamaicans, etc. will be staring quizzically at the screen.... ;)

well. I will not speak English (a language from ENGLAND). I want to speak BRITISH! You Americans, Canadians, New Zealanders, South Africans and Jamaicans can make new languages! Do you really wanna speak English when you are not English???
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:07 pm GMT
URIEL: I am Damian from Edinburgh.......I just got back home this evening after a long Easter weekend break away. That "Damian South" character has no connection with me at all. If Damian South is a genuine person and not trying to impersonate me (seems unlikely, but this is the La La Land of internet forums after all) then s/he has a perfect right to post her/his viewpoints as long as they (roughly) comply with the Forum rules.

Damian from Corstorphine, Edinburgh, Lothian, Scotland, UK.
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:14 pm GMT
JIM in EBORACUM:

Good on you for posting that Yorkshire Dialects site! I was at uni in Leeds for 3 years...2000/3.....and had a really fantastic time there...great city and I loved visiting all the really interesting places in the county of Yorkshire....I went to York several times. and we went rambling a lot up Wensleydale and places like that...up to Hawes where we slept rough under a stone wall...and I thought i was going to get ravished by a sheep once. ;-) I had mega probs at first with the Yorkshire accent but I got used to it in no time....luv...it's unique.

PS: I love parkin cake....
Tom K.   Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:21 pm GMT
"You start mixing in the Gaelic and the Cornish and the Welsh and the rest of us Americans, Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders, South Africans, Jamaicans, etc. will be staring quizzically at the screen.... ;)

well. I will not speak English (a language from ENGLAND). I want to speak BRITISH! You Americans, Canadians, New Zealanders, South Africans and Jamaicans can make new languages! Do you really wanna speak English when you are not English??? "

We Americans have already made a new language. And we (well, most of us) ARE staring quizically at the screen whenever we try to watch "Snatch" and "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels."
Travis   Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:37 pm GMT
>>We Americans have already made a new language. And we (well, most of us) ARE staring quizically at the screen whenever we try to watch "Snatch" and "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels."<<

Scots aside, well, English has not clearly fragmented quite yet in that kind of way, but it is definitely on its way towards that, even if it may take a few more centuries still.
Jim C, York   Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:03 am GMT
Corstorphine??!!!!!! Ive got a mate living there! at the Uni!, lovely area of Edinburgh, not too far away from the centre yet still far enough out for the fresh air. I bet you that you were near Cardigan when you went to Wales aswell. or at least near Aberystwyth (or how ever you spell it).

As for this thread, it is impossible to creat a new language "just like that" as tommy cooper said. and the yanks,pommies,keewies,erm...Canadians are all OK, all the better for speaking English I say.
Guest   Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:24 am GMT
>We Americans have already made a new language. And we (well, most of us) ARE staring quizically at the screen whenever we try to watch "Snatch" and "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels."

Indeed you have made a new language, which is why you have the problem you described. It's hard to sympathise.
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:49 pm GMT
JIM C in EBORACUM Vale of York: btw....do you know Easingwold? We had a great night in a pub near there when I was at uni...I think it was Easingwold...anyway, somewhere near York....all a wee bit hazy.

I've lived in Corstorphine all my life.......up above the northside of St Johns Road.........just out of earshot of the Murrayfield roar ;-) Aye, it is very nice....straight run all the way into the city centre in one direction and out towards the airport and open countryside on the other.

No, Jim, I was nowhere near Cardigan or Aberystwyth (your spelling was spot on)...they are much further south in Wales than where I went....I crossed the border into Wales at Queensferry, near Chester, and took the A55 road all the way along the coast of North Wales to Bangor, then crossed into Anglesey over the Menai Bridge, then further along the A55 to the village where Andy lives....not too far from Holyhead which was great for taking the ferry for the 1.75hr trip across to Dublin. Great city....go there sometime. Great weekend too.
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:51 pm GMT
ooops Langauge....sorry. Artificial Languages don't seem to prosper do they they? I mean, how many people in the world understand Esperanto, or have the ability to hold conversations in it? The Langauge did not live up to its hopeful expectations really, in my opinion.
Jim C, York + THE WOLD RO   Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:21 pm GMT
I know Easingwold very well! I went to school there! I still drink there all the time. The Angel is my favourite pub, I'm on my way to becomeing a local, even though I live a few miles away. Days of a misspent youth, drinking underage in the Royal Oak, drinking tinnies on millfield under a tree, or sat on the fallen tree called the lodge. Nipping down to the Horse Shoe for a lunchtime pint. I associate alot of drinking with Easingwold....you lot might get the wrong impression!

I'm not too familiar with north Wales really, west Wales is where I know. Well Ive been told that Irland i very nice, I shall have to go accross at some point.

Artificial Languages dont work indeed, What I think would be interesting is reviving dead languages of Britain, some only died less than a century ago. How possible is that?