american or british

Uriel   Sun May 07, 2006 3:32 pm GMT
I don't think I've ever been in a Starbucks, either. Something about them just annoys me. And I'm not a big connoisseur of coffee -- I know it's brown and wet. Beyond that, as far as differnt bean varieties or long Italian words go, I'm pretty lost. And I think Subway makes crappy sandwiches -- you can find better at any deli.

I would think it might hurt to dunk your genitalia in a cup of hot mochafrappachiatto or whatever -- I bet the dunker wouldn't be suffering in silence, English or not!

And as an American, I would be sizing it up and asking for whipped cream and sprinkles on that -- to go, please.
Jim C, Jorvikskyr   Sun May 07, 2006 3:58 pm GMT
Haha, good one Uriel. I agree about Subway, acting as if fresh fillings is a new concept? though it doesn't really matter to me if the lettice hasn't been plucked from the earth that very morning and preppared by the finest michaline stared chefs before being transported to the Subway on the back of rare Zebras...
Tea for girlies?? Yeah I often see builders drinking little tiny expressos....
Rick Johnson   Sun May 07, 2006 6:20 pm GMT
Yeah, I Subway is another place where they ask too many questions. I didn't quite understand how it worked the first time I went to the US. Usually in the UK, a person will only ask you if you want something if it is considered a usual accompaniment to the main filling e.g. pickle or chutney to go with cheese etc. So when I went in Subway I just said yes to anything he asked me - worst sandwich ever!!!

All those different types of bread- the same crap taste just a slightly different coloration!
Adam   Sun May 07, 2006 7:02 pm GMT
"Most Americans don't realize that the American Revolution was actually their country's first civil war rather than the big Union-versus-the-Confederacy affair of the next century."

The War of Independence was actually a British Civil War.

I suppose it was the second British Civil War (after the English Civil War in the 1640s but should have been BRITISH Civil War as the whole of the British Isles fought in it), and was the THIRD Civil War that involved the English as the Wars of the Roses between the Lancastrians and the Yorkists in the 15th Century was also an English Civil War.

So it was BRITAIN'S second civil war, and England's third.
Ed   Mon May 08, 2006 12:15 am GMT
Apparently it was the Dutch who first had the idea of adding milk to tea, sensible people the Dutch are. Certainly tea is undrinkable in my opinion without milk and sugar.
Jim C, Jorvikskyr   Mon May 08, 2006 12:51 am GMT
The Dutch have given us a lot of good things (except capitalism). A relaxed attitude to...erm..well just about everything makes them cool as well.
Guest   Mon May 08, 2006 7:30 am GMT
>>Tea for girlies?? Yeah I often see builders drinking little tiny expressos.... <<

They also drink spirits out of little tiny shot glasses.
lu   Mon May 08, 2006 8:50 am GMT
Starbucks is too expensive
BNP   Mon May 08, 2006 9:05 am GMT
It is too expensive for you. China-girl.
Uriel   Mon May 08, 2006 9:15 am GMT
Starbucks IS ridiculously expensive. Five bucks for something that used to cost fifty cents. It's coffee, not gold.

Agree with you about the bread at Subway, Rick. No matter how "fresh-baked" it is, it's not a good recipe -- bland and tasteless. Fresh bread should be the food of the gods; you should walk into the place and smell its yeasty wonderfullness! And they're stingy with the fillings. I like mine piled on, not doled out a slice at a time.
lu   Mon May 08, 2006 11:17 am GMT
"It is too expensive for you. China-girl."

You can brag to your heart's content, ignorant racist.
Jim C, Jorvikskyr   Mon May 08, 2006 1:27 pm GMT
Where I live you can go to a tea shop where a pot of tea, with another pot of hot water costs £1.50. All the tea you could need, and only a bit over cost. They make their real profit on all the cakes and sadnwhiches etc. Go to the new posh coffee shop across the way, a pot of tea that only serves two cups worth, no more, costs £3.50. Though it is a very nice coffee shop, and its won awards.
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon May 08, 2006 3:48 pm GMT
***You'll know this actually, what is that big massive white box of a building just off the coast about 40 mins south of Edinburgh?***

I reckon you're meaning the Cockenzie Power Station... on the coast but just beyond the eastern outskirts...certainly not 40 mins that's for sure.

Nobody drinks tea like the Brits do I believe, except perhaps some Commonwealth countries, excepting Canada maybe...I'm not sure....maybe they do the coffee thing like their neighbours. I drink an average of 5 coffees to each tea...coffee is more popular with younger Brits, a lot go for soft drinks anyway.
Uriel   Mon May 08, 2006 3:49 pm GMT
I've never seen a tea shop.
Jim C, Jorvikskyr   Mon May 08, 2006 4:14 pm GMT
I cant remember how long it took, I was reading a book. I looked up, and I thought I'de gone through a portal into Lego land or something.

I really can't stand coffee, I could just about handle a baileys and coffee, but I couldn't have a second. Tea is good for you.... http://www.tea.co.uk/ Yep, thats how much we love it here, we have a council devoted to it!