Commonweath Basic Law Applicable thruout?

Law Student (hopefully)   Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:25 am GMT
Hey a basic question as I decide my future on my major in Law.

Is Commonweath Basic Law Applicable thruout the English speaking world?

I meant the basics like court systems, precedents, etc could be applied to the Commonweath countries, the USA and other former British colonies?

I know from knowledge (correct me if I'm right) that the precedent Magna Carta applies to all English speaking countries including the USA.

Precedent (Wikipedia)
In law, a precedent or authority is a legal case establishing a principle or rule which a court may need to adopt when deciding subsequent cases with similar issues or facts. The term may also refer to the collective body of case law which a court should consider when interpreting the law. When a precedent establishes an important legal principal, or represents new or changed law on a particular issue, that precedent is often known as a landmark decision.
Law Student (hopefully)   Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:26 am GMT
Note: Precedents do varie among countries but the main ones like Magna Carta, etc.
Guest   Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:11 pm GMT
Yeah, it's the basic law system of the Anglo-Saxon countries with a few exceptions: In India it's a blend of English law and Hindu law. South Africa follows Roman Dutch law. Because of the French influence, In the United States, Louisiana does not follow it, and neither does Quebec in Canada
MGB   Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:33 am GMT
<Because of the French influence, In the United States, Louisiana does not follow it, and neither does Quebec in Canada

So there is no presumption of innocence?
Lazar   Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:05 pm GMT
<<So there is no presumption of innocence?>>

The presumption of innocence is not unique to English law. The Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen says, "Tout homme étant présumé innocent jusqu'à ce qu'il ait été déclaré coupable."
Lazar   Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:13 pm GMT
The Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms, which is binding on all members of the Council of Europe, also says, "Everyone charged with a criminal offence shall be presumed innocent until proved guilty according to law."

And regardless of these things, Louisiana must follow the fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, and eighth amendments, as well as the Constitution's provisions on habeas corpus and bills of attainder. And Quebec must follow the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, which says, "Any person charged with an offence has the right...to be presumed innocent until proven guilty according to law in a fair and public hearing by an independent and impartial tribunal."
greg   Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:57 pm GMT
Je crois que le Québec applique un système mixte : droit civil pour les affaires privées et commune ley pour les affaires publiques. Vous confirmez les Canadiens ? Où s'agit-il d'un système plus complexe ?

Comme son nom l'indique, la commune ley, est à l'origine une importation du droit et de l'organisation juridique normands de outre Manche bien que les souverains angevins l'aient entérinée et enrichie. La commune ley n'est pas du droit anglo-saxon au sens restreint de cet adjectif.

D'autre part la Grande charte est un avatar de la guerre pour le pouvoir que se sont livrées les dynasties royales capétienne et angevine et leur vassaux respectifs. Jean Sans-Terre a perdu la soutien de son baronnage personnel établi sur le royaume de France en raison du meurtre d'Arthur. Il a également perdu le soutien de son barronnage personnel outremanchais en raison des défaites cuisantes infligées par les capétiens. L'invasion de l'Angleterre par Louis, fils du roi de France, a permis au prince capétien d'être proclamé roi à la place de Jean Sans-Terre, alors en fuite à Guincestre (Winchester) suite à sa destitution. Ainsi, les capétiens prirent (provisoirement) le relai des plantagenêts. Il ne faut pas oublier que la Grande charte a été rédigée dans l'Yonne actuelle, sur des terres capétiennes. Il est possible qu'elle ait été écrite en ancien français avant d'être traduite en médiolatin pour être valablement opposée au souverain angevin.