This is for those who love British Accent... Let's all learn

Pally   Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:24 am GMT
Aye, lisen up ol' chaps! TEACH ME BRITISH!
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:19 pm GMT
Chaps? Who uses that word in any form of Britspeak these days?
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:22 pm GMT
***Yes but there are some in the Harry Potter films with Scottish and Irish accents too***

Does that mean you don't consider a Scottish accent as British then???
Presley.   Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:11 pm GMT
Tragic...Americans are terrible at imitating accents. I hate listening to Americans on T.V. pretending to speak with a "British" accent. It's just annoying.
Pete   Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:47 pm GMT
<<Does that mean you don't consider a Scottish accent as British then???>>

Well, Damian, I guess the other guy must've had a little geographic location problem...

<<Tragic...Americans are terrible at imitating accents. I hate listening to Americans on T.V. pretending to speak with a "British" accent. It's just annoying.>>

there are people who who are bad at accents all over the world, The problem with a vast majority in America is that they think that everyone in England speak with that funny, posh, old-fashioned accent. Then they say: "Oh, he sounds British!". And when they hear some Englishman with a regional English accent they think "oh he must be from Australia", "oh, he got a South African accent" and things of the sort. It's just a common thing due to the lack of exposition to real English accents.

Pete
Presley.   Mon Dec 25, 2006 6:02 am GMT
«Then they say: "Oh, he sounds British!".»

Being an American, I see that going on all the time. It's rather irritating. It's also annoying when people don't understand the differences between Britain, Great Britain, the United Kingdom, and England. It's common for Americans to believe that they are all one in the same.
Kelly   Mon Dec 25, 2006 2:17 pm GMT
if you want to hear the REAL british English try watching BIG BROTHER UK ;)

No one uses RP at all ;)

Even in Indian Big Brother (they call it Big Boss), people speak better English than in the British BB.
Pete   Mon Dec 25, 2006 4:44 pm GMT
Presley, you're right. But, in America, do you learn at school about those geographic issues with the UK? Because here in Peru we don't, so you can't really blame anyone if they don't know about it... many people don't even know about the problems with some regions in Spain. We think of them as being Spanish and they say... "No, I'm catalan..." or "No, I'm from Andalusia", "I'm from Galicia..." or "Fuck! I told you I was Basque!!!". So the same as most Peruvians don't really know... I suppose some Americans can be forgiven for not knowing about the UK... Besides, why should they?

<<if you want to hear the REAL british English try watching BIG BROTHER UK ;)

No one uses RP at all ;)

Even in Indian Big Brother (they call it Big Boss), people speak better English than in the British BB. >>

LOL, I pissed meself laughing with this one...

Merry Christmas

Pete
Gerindia   Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:08 am GMT
I saw all your guy's messages, But it made me think this..." Your all stupid!!"
zzz   Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:43 am GMT
>> It's also annoying when people don't understand the differences between Britain, Great Britain, the United Kingdom, and England. It's common for Americans to believe that they are all one in the same. <<

What are you talking about? I know it has many names, but they all refer to the same place. I think they changed the name from England to the Great Britain and then finally they changed it to the United Kingdom. But it's still the same country. So, when you see "England" in a book, you know it was written a long time ago, because the new term is the United Kingdom.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:56 am GMT
You are all invited to a fantastic 300th Birthday Party on Tuesday, 16 January 2007

Bring a bottle (or bottles) - the more the merrier - we will supply all the nosh

Great Britain will be 300 years old and we don't look a day over 299.

The Act of Union came into force on 16 January 1707

Please don't send any birthday cards - give money to the charity of your choice instead

http://www.historyworld.net/wrldhis/PlainTextHistories.asp?historyid=ab07
Chippy   Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:23 pm GMT
From ZZZ>> It's also annoying when people don't understand the differences between Britain, Great Britain, the United Kingdom, and England. It's common for Americans to believe that they are all one in the same. <<

>>What are you talking about? I know it has many names, but they all refer to the same place. I think they changed the name from England to the Great Britain and then finally they changed it to the United Kingdom. But it's still the same country. So, when you see "England" in a book, you know it was written a long time ago, because the new term is the United Kingdom.

How wrong are you... just shows how little you do know. England is one of the four countries that makes up the United Kingdom. It is the big one at the bottom that is not Scotland or Wales (Do you know where these countries are?) Whereas Great Britain refers to the largest island of the British Isles which is comprised of England, Scotland and Wales. Northern Island is also part of the UK but this is on the island of Ireland (Do you know where that is?). Make sense now? Cheers and happy 300th birthday to the UK
Adam   Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:42 pm GMT
It's Britain's 300th birthday today.

Will the Union last another 300 years? Will it still be around in 2307?
Ayaz   Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:16 am GMT
There are many dialects and accents present in British English.
we also see that there are also many obstacles for foreign learners in pronunciation. what should a new learner do. what accent he has to follow and how can he imitate the british people.
Guest   Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:43 am GMT
>> >>What are you talking about? I know it has many names, but they all refer to the same place. I think they changed the name from England to the Great Britain and then finally they changed it to the United Kingdom. But it's still the same country. So, when you see "England" in a book, you know it was written a long time ago, because the new term is the United Kingdom.
<<

lol. Wow, you guys really are ignorant.