Well....

Hey!   Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:40 pm GMT
Do they in the UK understand American english better than the Americans understand the British , and a question for you in the UK and USA etc when you in the us watch a british film is it texted?
hey!   Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:42 pm GMT
us = US :p
D   Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:51 pm GMT
I have never seen a film in the US which had subtitles while the actors spoke English, either AE or BE, unless the subtitles were there for some artistic purpose or to help the hearing impaired.

AE speakers have no trouble understanding the accent of almost all BE speakers. There are some differences in word choice, but native speakers can usually understand the point of what is being said.
Lazar   Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:54 pm GMT
<<when you in the us watch a british film is it texted?>>

No.
Chamonix   Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:02 pm GMT
"when you in the us watch a british film is it texted"

No, it's not, but I noticed when Princess Diane was talking, they subtitled her speech. Well, I didn't really see them doing the same to Tonny Blair speech, but to other Brits, yes.
Tonny Blair sounds clearer to me than other Brits.
SpaceFlight   Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:37 pm GMT
<<when you in the us watch a british film is it texted?>>

No, In the U.S.A. we have this device in our televisions that automatically converts a British accent into an American accent, so that even though the people speaking have British accents we hear them an American accent because of this magical device we have in our televisions.

This is only a joke!
Tom K.   Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:53 pm GMT
I've only ever seen a British accent texted once, and only once. It was VH1's "Behind the Music" on the band Oasis. Every time one of the Gallagher brothers (I can't remember which one) said anything it was texted. I thought "Oh that's just ridiculous! I can understand it just fine!" So the next time he said something I closed my eyes, and then a few seconds later I opened them thinking "Wow, I guess I really do need the subtitles."
Adam   Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:14 am GMT
"Do they in the UK understand American english better than the Americans understand the British , and a question for you in the UK and USA etc when you in the us watch a british film is it texted? "

Yeah, because American English is much simpler.

It's just a shame about the accents.
Adam   Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:15 am GMT
I know that the Americans have the BBC show "Eastenders" there, only they are about 2 years behind us, and sometimes it is subtitled.
Adam   Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:18 am GMT
I speak just like the Gallagher brothers. I live just 16 miles from Manchester.

"Awright, our kid?"
Larissa   Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:05 pm GMT
"when you in the us watch a british film is it texted?" and what about the UK? When you in the UK watch an American movie is it texted? I've always wanted to know the answer to this question!

"Do they in the UK understand American english better than the Americans understand the British" I guess they do, I think the American people have more trouble understanding the BE than the British people understanding the AE.
Larissa   Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:42 pm GMT
Can somebody answer my questions?
Tiffany   Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:58 pm GMT
I'm American, so I can only reply that Americans understand the British just find. I went to an International high school with kids from all over the world - including British ones. No problem at all.
Guest   Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:09 pm GMT
LOL well in the Harry Potter movies they had to take two takes of the film replacing some words with American terms.
american nic   Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:43 pm GMT
Guest, do you have any examples?