What is the closest language to English?

Uriel   Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:37 pm GMT
So ... can we consider this matter settled, then?

Please, please, pretty please?
greg   Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:46 pm GMT
Non, pas vraiment. Les arguments invoqués par Björn sont convaincants. D'autant qu'il connaît la réalité du Flamand occidental. Mais beaucoup d'éléments linguistiques en faveur de la thèse inverse ont été avancés ici ou là et méritent d'être réfutés un à un.
jennifer   Thu May 11, 2006 11:57 pm GMT
what does il fait beau mean
jennifer   Thu May 11, 2006 11:57 pm GMT
what does il fait beau mean
Ed   Fri May 12, 2006 11:30 am GMT
> The closest language to English spoken by more than 2 million people is Dutch,even though in most cases Dutch is only superfaceially close to English.

This might be true if you're talking of the closeness by ancestry. However I'd say Afrikaans is more similar to English as in addition to the inherited similarity from Dutch, the Afrikaans language has evolved along similar lines to English since its divergence from Dutch. For example the abandonment of grammatical gender and the loss of most inflection is something that English has experienced too. However these are examples of convergent evolution as Afrikaans has evolved in a similar way to English, but separately and not because of English.
Ryan   Sun May 14, 2006 3:18 pm GMT
Scots is the language closest to English if you consider it a separate language and not a "dialect." Otherwise it would be Frisian.
bob french   Thu May 18, 2006 3:18 pm GMT
the one l detest is, can l have a rain check, what the hell is a bloody stupid rain check.
Adam   Thu May 18, 2006 7:04 pm GMT
Frisian is the closest to English.

book - boeke

boekekast - bookcase.

twelve - twolve

dead - deade

bishop - biskop

antimony - antimoon

beginning/start/commencement - begijn

ball - bal

baroness - baronesse

alarm - alaarm
Jake   Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:34 pm GMT
What Language is most simillar in STRUCTURE to English?

i am lost and cannot find the answer to this perplexing question, i am confused as to looking up a languages relation to another by structure, and i have a feeling that Germanic or Romanic is the answer.

By Research i have found the Scots, and Frisian are close, but i am not sure can anybody help me?
Caspian   Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:42 am GMT
Hi. Is this forum still in use?
The Germanist   Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:29 am GMT
Actually, English is a Germanic language because it shares a common root within the Germanic family. Proto-Germanic was the common language from which German, Dutch, English, and the Scandinavian languages formed. How this "Branching off" worked is much the same as how Spanish, Italian, and French came from Latin. There are many similar structures in English and other Germanic languages. You also have to take into affect what is known as a "sound shift" the first one, in the Germanic languages is p, t, k goes to f, th, ch(hard K sound), and b, d, g goes to p, t, k. This is a shift from the other indo-european languages. So latin Pater, becomes English Father, and German Vater. Sound changes happened a little differently in all the Germanic languages, but they follow the same basic pattern. There is also a second Germanic shoundshift that happened pretty much exclusively to German, that's why German is a bit different, but if you really look at it, it is not so different. A lot of things we do in English linguistically come from our Germanic backround. So, a lot of people think English is not so Germanic, but it really really is. The main Romance language influence on English is vocabulary, and little else.
Guest   Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:50 am GMT
Are you Travis in disguise?
Travis   Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:02 pm GMT
Actually, no, that wasn't me.
AJC   Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:38 pm GMT
<What Language is most simillar in STRUCTURE to English? >

I'd say it was the Scandinavian languages (they're all so similar, there's no point in pickin one above the others). Though English is more closely related to German, Dutch etc., the way it has developed since is more in parallel with the way that these, less closely related, languages. You could probably write down all the rules of grammar you need to learn for Danish or Swedish on a singlke piece of paper. There are other difficulties in learning either, though.
Guest   Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:07 am GMT
Spanish grammar is very symilar to te English one.