MID-ATLANTIC ENGLISH Again

Michelle K.   Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:32 pm GMT
I was reading a previous post from last year about this form of speech. I imagine it is the Edith Skinner-like (ie: Skinner taught a highfalutin, vaguely British mode of speaking that she dubbed "Good American Speech.") spoken by radio broadcasters and theater actors of the 40's and 50's mainly. ( I will also bet it is not used much anymore people radio dj's would be taunted constantly ).
I was wondering if anyone knew more about this speech. I watch What's My Line on tvland at night and Arlene Francis (formally trained in theater) and John Daly, the host, both seem to have this sort of speech. I know Kelsey Grammer trained in Skinner also (thus Frasier Crane).
My questions are, again, is the Skinner method of speech training the SAME as Mid-Atlantic english? Were there other voice teachers that taught similarly back when Cary Grant and actors like him were performing? If anyone knows, also, were people like Arlene and John Daly trained with Skinner or something similar?
I have been wondering this for awhile now and hope someone can help me with some information.
Thanks!
Michelle