Reply to "Nice to meet you"

Uriel   Mon May 01, 2006 3:13 pm GMT
"Me, too" sounds wrong to me; I would go with "you, too" (short for "It's nice to meet you, too.")
Uriel   Mon May 01, 2006 3:25 pm GMT
You can use "me, too" if they say "I'm pleased to meet you", though.
lu   Tue May 02, 2006 12:20 am GMT
interesting.
I think I'll the full sentecnce to avoid the confusion.
Guest   Tue May 02, 2006 8:18 am GMT
"How do you do?" is the correct thing to say when meeting someone for the first time. This may not apply in North America.
Thijs Kuiken   Thu May 04, 2006 9:59 am GMT
A problem with "how do you do" is that people never seen to answer that question. They just say "how do you do" in return and that's an end to it!

So personally, just to be different, I reply, "Oh, I do all sorts of things. And you?"
Pete   Thu May 04, 2006 2:54 pm GMT
<<So personally, just to be different, I reply, "Oh, I do all sorts of things. And you?">>

LOL. You must be kiding. Anyway, it's true. That expression 'How do you do' has been confusing English students for, I don't know, one hundred years or perhaps more. They expect an answer because that has the gramatical structure of a question, but, in fact, it isn't a real question.

And about answering 'me too' like meaning 'It's also nice for me to meet me', in Spanish there is an equivalent widely used in Peru when you dislike someone, and it is as follows, the stuff in brackets can be omitted:

'(Es) un (gran) gusto, el conocerle' => I'm (very) pleased to meet you.

'El placer es suyo/tuyo' => The pleasure's only yours.

The form 'suyo' is the formal form, prefered in some cases. However the other one, 'tuyo' is the familiar form, which is more commonly used in Peru. This second form 'El placer es tuyo' is much more insulting because it makes use of the familiar form from the first time you meet that person and it's used to insult.

I don't know if that would be that impolite in English, but in Spanish it's extremely rude.
Pete   Thu May 04, 2006 2:57 pm GMT
oh sorry. 'tuyo/suyo' means yours.

If you ever come to Peru, you just say 'un gusto' or 'un placer'. That's much more common, more natural, and sounds very, very native-like.
Boy   Fri May 05, 2006 10:16 pm GMT
I don't know where you guys get your information from. Yesterday I was watching an English movie on a cable channel AXN. A guy spoke "nice to meet you" to another girl. She replied back to him: "Me too".

I am confused whether this form of reply is correct or not.
Johnathan Mark   Fri May 05, 2006 10:31 pm GMT
In a way, it doesn't matter whether you say, "same here," "you too," or "me too"--none of them are entirely gramatically correct, but neither is the utterance "nice to meet you," so if you say it like you mean it, it won't matter.

I personally always say "Nice to meet you, too" to avoid any ambiguity, and usually acompany it with a little nod.
toby   Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:08 am GMT
so is that "you too" a good answer for
"i think i am going to miss you"
"you too"
???
Guest   Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:39 am GMT
I think it would be best to say "I'll miss you, too."
Cool American Guy   Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:49 pm GMT
Likewise works in all these different layouts. I think Mandy was right. from now on, I'll use likewise to reply to all formalities of this type.

Yeah.
Liz   Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:31 pm GMT
I say "Nice to meet you, too".
Bruce   Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:44 am GMT
When you visit Britain always use "Nice to see you, to see you nice". I'll guarantee you'll get a smile. Alright my love?
Andrew   Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:36 pm GMT
"It's nice to meet you!"

"It's nice to meet you too!"/ You too / Nice to see you .