why do all want to learn English?

Guest   Sun May 07, 2006 1:30 pm GMT
England for independence from Irish and Scottish oppression
lu   Sun May 07, 2006 2:11 pm GMT
"Now, now, now! I haven't seen an example of this hare. You can't just state facts like that without backing them up. "

OK,Adam wrote this "So, comparing England to China on the issue of Human Rights is a bit silly. "

To me, it's like "Comparing those fetus-eating wife-beating female infanticide people with me Adam is a bit silly."

And I will consider this a little bit offensive. Issue on human rights is always a serious matter , never will it be silly.
Jim C, Jorvikskyr   Sun May 07, 2006 4:04 pm GMT
Guest meant that saying that people in China are less educated than Adam can't be backed up as Adam has no education.

Any way I thought it was just a "gross-out" artist that ate the featus, he was sick about 5 times before he did it. Eating a blokes Penis was another one he did, he made critics drink "human penis wine" aswell, I doubt any one in China apart from him likes that kind of thing.
Guest   Mon May 08, 2006 8:55 am GMT
Calm down, lu!
-   Mon May 08, 2006 12:48 pm GMT
“"Dont forget how the english invaded China and massacred the chinese people and how chinese were regarded as second class citizens in their own cities dominated by caucasians! Some even put up signs like: "No dogs and chinese allowed!" "

The Chinese are pretty good at murdering their own people.”

Are you saying that it was right of the british to murder chinese? Chines in the past may have murdered chinese, but his doesnt justify british murdering chinese!

of course there are more chinese excecuted! chinese have the biggest population. Excecution is neccesary, if a person murders another person then of course that murderer should be excecuted, he took away the life of another. The west claims that excecuting prople are immoral and does not respect their rights! What about the one murdered? Are you respecting his right to live? His life got ended! Those who bring drugs into the country should also be excecuted as a detterance to others! Imagine all the lives that would be ruined because of drugs!

This was what happened to china when britain exported opium to china and britain insisted on doing so and even went to war with china to ensure the export of opium to chinese to ruin the chinese and earn money!
-   Mon May 08, 2006 12:51 pm GMT
"China is the country where it is socially acceptable, in many places, for a man to beat his wife. "

Are you sure that this is socially acceptable? Go to China and take a look! This is definitely not acceptable! Dont just rely on Western media who magnify things!
Guest   Thu May 11, 2006 10:37 am GMT
adam has lost the debate it seems! lol
laughing policeman   Thu May 11, 2006 12:22 pm GMT
Adam loses every argument. One day he will learn that this is NOT a political forum. Good day to you sir!
Aldo_b   Thu May 11, 2006 4:14 pm GMT
For me English is a complicated phenomena today influenced by lots of factors and that the use and need of it depends on where you live and what you do.

Why English a spread language ?

Historical influence of British empire. In my opinion this factor is partially responsible since its influence was more visible in the colonized areas more than a global influence. There were empires even at the same time of the British one but they didn't make their languages popular worldwide. France was not an empire as extended as the British one but its language became quite popular but for reasons like sciences and arts not war or conquests.

Rising of English speaking countries economies. I find this one the most important but not alone. I think it is enormously complemented with the comparatively easy grammar (and from my perspective, good sonority), shoulder to shoulder with languages from big economies like Italy, Germany, Japan, France or today's China for example, which are big economies but their languages have not spread the same way during many decades. This rising leads to lots of factors that help to spread the language. More economical resources to produce art and science and to sell products which involves directly the language: movies, software, books, music, etc. More economical resources to buy and for investments in other countries. A powerfull factor that induce others to learn the language of their customers. More economical resources to make tourism, a huge industry worldwide in which even whole countries base its subsistence.

Technological improvements. Without it such spread would be more than impossible.

Just my opinion.
sunandt@yahoo.com   Sun May 14, 2006 3:03 pm GMT
the only reason English is so popular is because many modern inventions and discoveries in 19 and 20 th centuries were made by britishers and americans

its so simple; ok; they invented most gadgets

and if u want a good job these days, u have to learn english
And what is wrong; it is such a beautiful language
with just one language called English, u can interact with 6 biliion people all over the world.
So, dont become narrow minded; love ur mother tongue; and learn English to get a good job, good salary.
Guest   Sun May 14, 2006 9:43 pm GMT
English is good for materialistic purposes. People must learn it.
Laura   Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:13 am GMT
i don't believe that English is a beautiful language at all. The only reason that english is even considered is because we speak it in Canada and the United States. In my opinion, Ukrainian seems like the most beautiful language in the world. A few of my friends are ukrainian and when i hear them speak amongst themselves it makes me want to learn the language. I say who ever created this list should not only consider the well known languages but also languages like ukrainian that many people don't know but is amazing. It's nothing like russian at all so don't even dare say that.
25HO   Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:23 am GMT
One more time:

The reason the English language has such global reach is simply a matter of history.

The last two back-to-back superpowers (political, economic and military) have been English-speaking.

That's it.
Reality check   Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:48 am GMT
<France was not an empire as extended as the British one but its language became quite popular but for reasons like sciences and arts not war or conquests.>

So simply many natives of French colonies simply waved tri-color flags simply because of the introduction of French Science and Arts? Highly doubt the French simply travelled thousands of miles to simply build a theater or science center to enlighten the millions.

What a load of bullshit.

<i don't believe that English is a beautiful language at all. The only reason that english is even considered is because we speak it in Canada and the United States.>

Duh idiot what do you think.....
beni   Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:16 pm GMT
English is good to earn money. That's all