week-end or weekend?

nensy   Wed May 03, 2006 10:24 am GMT
And for me is goodbye and no one.
Guest   Wed May 03, 2006 12:18 pm GMT
I'm from the UK but I'm guessing that Uriel and nensy are from the US and that that's why there's a difference between how we spell no-one.
Mandy   Wed May 03, 2006 1:38 pm GMT
I guess no-one spelling will be considered obsolete, just like to-morrow, week-end or good-by. It's a question of time.
Guest   Thu May 04, 2006 3:00 pm GMT
I dunno I was always taught to use no-one and if we missed out the hyphen then we were marked down. And no I didn't finish school ages ago, in fact I'm going to be finishing in 2 months time. Not so obsolete in my corner of the world.
Good-bye mawm   Thu May 04, 2006 4:05 pm GMT
No-one (with hyphen) looks ugly.
Yuck yuck.
Uriel   Fri May 05, 2006 9:53 am GMT
Can't speak for nensy, but yes, I'm from the US. I've always thought of no-one as a British spelling.
Ed   Fri May 05, 2006 10:55 am GMT
No-one is not turned into a compound word as most people would think the double o would be unacceptably odd looking: 'noone'. There is an alternative but very rare spelling I like: 'noöne'.

Similarly co-operate can be spelled coöperate and co-ordinate as coördinate, re-enact as reënact etc.
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri May 05, 2006 11:02 am GMT
Whichever which way you spell it.....it's the WEEKEND / WEEK-END again. Hae a guid one!

Hyphenated words always give problems but the general practice is to run them all through as one unit with no hypen even though some of them look a wee bit weird when the second part begins with a vowel...reestablish, reorganise, reiterate (although that is accepted without question more or less).
Guest   Fri May 05, 2006 2:04 pm GMT
that

The whole sentence says:

Sorry. It is just that I blew the final (failed the final exams) and now my parents are going to get all bent out of shape (get angry). I like totally drew a blank on everything (I couldn't think of the answer to any of the questions).

Thank you!