Bine ati venit pe la noi…

libelula   Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:35 am GMT
If they don't want us...we don't want them either!!!
Aldebarán   Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:49 am GMT
Romania is a Latin European Country not a Slavic one
Romanian   Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:31 am GMT
"Its interesting how excited people get about Romanians being 'Latin' though. So what? "

Well I think because most people don’t have a clue about Eastern Romance.

When they learn about Romanian being Romance , they just discovered the hole in the macaroni !
Clay   Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:51 pm GMT
I'm a native English speaker, and I speak two asian languages. To me, Romanian sounds like an Italian talking about Russia. The rythm, stresses, and most of the words sound very much like Itlian, but many words have the hard Slavic sound to them.
Guest   Sat May 27, 2006 9:06 pm GMT
Foarte bine deci.... eu as vrea sa invat aromana.. cica e cea mai apropiata de limba dacica si oricum seamana foarte mult cu romana. Pentru toti cei interesati de limba romana, va recomand sa citit: "Secretele Terrei" scrisa de Paul Lazar Tonciulescu si Eugen Delcea..... Nici nu stiti ce pierdeti!
augustin717   Sun May 28, 2006 4:21 am GMT
Aiestea-s povesti.
Cititi si domnia Voastra carti pintru uamini mari, nu pintru prunci mici.
Graiul dacilor, cum nu-i atestat in scris, ii mai mult un subiect de dat cu presupusu.
Da, orishicum, Dumnezo v-ajute la-nvatat armaneste.
Guest   Sun May 28, 2006 4:04 pm GMT
Doamne, ori n-ati mai trecut de mult prin tara ori nu stiu... dar mai verificati-va ortografia! Ce sa va zic! Macar ati citit cartea de vorbiti asa?.. sau sunteti expert in domeniul... ce tupeu pe unii.... sa nu va pierdeti timpul raspunzandu-mi ca nu voi mai citi nimic de aici. Dumnezeu sa va ajute.... punct
Clay   Wed May 31, 2006 7:06 pm GMT
The anti-christ will come/derive from ROMANIA; according to "Hal Lindsey" & some scholars.
a.p.a.m.   Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:43 pm GMT
There is nothing Roman about Romania.
Flavio   Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:20 pm GMT
Eu sunt un baiatul din brazilia si am foarte iubirea pentru limba romana, caut vorbitori intodeauna , eu vreau sã vorbesti aceasta limba dar nu stiu când, pana acum eu stiu doar putine cuvinte, e foarte interessantã si latina la prima vedere... imi place idem musica cum parazitii si bug mafia, trupe de hiphop romaneasca. salutare din brazilia...
Guest01   Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:17 am GMT
a.p.a.m, unless you know any better, I suggest you keep to yourself.

"Its interesting how excited people get about Romanians being 'Latin' though. So what? "

It's because our ancestry means a lot to us, and I'm sure it would mean a lot to you too.

Other than that... Limba romana este una dintre cele mai frumoase limbi, fie ea de origine latins, slava ori combinata!
Latinate   Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:49 pm GMT
Why do people get excited about Romanian?

"Limba romana este una dintre cele mai frumoase limbi, fie ea de origine latins, slava ori combinata!"

Translation

The Romanian language is one of the most beautiful languages, even though it is from slavic or romance origen or a combanation of the two.

Now this might surprise you to know I have never learnt Romanian and couldn't pronounce it properly even if I wanted to but I can read some of it.
That is why.
It's like finding a long lost relative
Ion   Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:22 pm GMT
Latinate, you said:

"Now this might surprise you to know I have never learnt Romanian and couldn't pronounce it properly even if I wanted to but I can read some of it.
That is why."

Selber Schuld, how a German would say, Latinate! That you cannot pronounce Romanian is your problem and yours only ! For at least 31 mil people, it doesn't appear to be a problem...

In other words, if you have problems with its pronunciation, it doesn't have anything to do with the language itself but with you... The language proved to be well written and spoken by so many people and for such long time...

It is normal to have difficulties learning a language. Ask only, how many non English individuals are pronouncing English properly?

Take care!

P.S. I think that the excitement about Romanian is produced by the exaggerations showed here by individuals who are making all kind of assumptions about the Romanian language , its evolution and Romanian nation apparition. As many times in our history, individuals of other nations are trying to teach us our proper history. Pathetic, isn't it?

Now matter how this two appeared, the fact is that they exist.
Latinate   Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:14 pm GMT
Ion

Yes shoot first ask questions later right?

Please read what I posted a bit better, I did not say Romanian is badly pronounced just that by knowing another Romance language you can get a very good notion of it.(That is why I translated the Romanian text with out any formal education in the Romanian language, I was proving a point)

It´s natural that I can´t pronounce it properly when I have never spoken to a Romanian, not only that Romanian is not exactly the most projected language in the world is it?

Okay lets read into each others names, you love chemistry hence the name ion. Now you have postive charged ions and negative charged ions ...
Calliope   Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:49 pm GMT
Easy, people... I understand why Ion is being a bit defensive, seeing what every idiot and his brother has said about his language - but latinate really made a point about Romanian being a latin language and not a slavic one (he doesn't even know how to pronounce it, yet he can understand written texts because his own language is latin-based). That's how I perceived the comment.

Anyway, to the topic... it's silly to say a language (Romanian for example) is say, slavic, because it has some slavic elements. All languages have loans, mostly but not exclusively from their neighbours. To find the roots of a language, you have to research it from a historical perspective and find its actual origins. I'm afraid I don't know Romanian (but it was honestly on the plan! Will do some day...), but what I've heard from people who knew Italian and took up Romanian next, is there are many similarities (I mean structure and vocabulary, not sounds). A mostly slavic language wouldn't look too familiar to an Italian speaker... that's a rough point that makes me classify Romanian as a Latin based language in my mind, and of course the info people have posted here confirms it, I think.

PS: "Ion" is actually a name, as I understand a very common one in Romania... it is sometimes used it Greece as well, though not too often. In Greek, it means "flower". In Greek (again) ion does mean ion as in chemistry too, but it is spelt and stressed differently and in any case, the name comes from the flower. Of course I don't have the slightest clue if the Greek ion and the Romanian one are connected at all...