Leena   Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:27 am GMT
hi
explain to me some sentences
1-Bring it on.
2-Do me up
3-how can a person come along=>come along
Thanks
Guest   Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:52 pm GMT
1. "Bring it on" is an expression that one says, tauntingly, when they're challenging another to a fight or competition that they are confident of winning (usually).

Ex:
"Dude, my boys here and I can whoop your sorry asses on the court."
"Bring it on, muthaf*cka, bring it on!"

2. "Do me up" is slang for "give me the lastest news."

It is also a versatile expression used to request that something be done for you.

Ex:
Lady to her hairstylist: "I've got a fancy party to go to this evening, so do me up real good."

A lady to her husband, as she turns her back to him revealing her unzipped dress: "Honey, do me up." (zip up my dress)

It also could be used in a negative sense:

"Suge's boys threatened to do me up (read: murder) if I didn't stop bad-mouthing him in the press."

3. "Come along" means to go with someone somewhere, but that's pretty basic. I gather you're asking because there's some other meaning. What's the context?
Leena   Mon May 01, 2006 7:28 am GMT
Thank you guest for the reply.
the last sentence is exactly is:a mother speaks to her daughter when her daughter told her that her dead husband has appeared again.the sentence is(how often does someone come along?)

what about these sentenses:
1-I am taking it out of context
2-I ll pull the car around
thanks.
Ant_222   Mon May 01, 2006 1:17 pm GMT
To take something out of context means to quote/consider a statement without the context in which it was used by the author. This may cause a change in the original meaning.
Guest   Mon May 01, 2006 1:53 pm GMT
Leena, are you just getting people here to do your homework?
Uriel   Mon May 01, 2006 3:01 pm GMT
For "how often does someone come along" -- that means, how often do you encounter someone like that?
Guest   Mon May 01, 2006 3:46 pm GMT
<<2-I ll pull the car around >>

That means to bring the car from point A to point B.

"Wait right here while I pull the car around."
Leena   Tue May 02, 2006 6:54 am GMT
hello
thank you every one for your help
Guest this is not a homework by the way.Im an esl learner and there are some sentenses i cant understand even if i look up the dictionary.I dont play here in this forum i only ask and i need answers for things i really dont know them.Just notice that most sentences that i asked about are either slang expressions or compound verbs that r a little bit difficult for non native people to understand.Thanks anyway.
Leena   Tue May 02, 2006 9:57 am GMT
I cant figure out
can u tell me what figure out means here?
abc   Thu May 04, 2006 11:39 am GMT
Leena,
You should so totally ignore that mean guest who said that you're here to gather answers for your HW. I just don't see why we have such people who's only job is to ruin other people's business in this forum. THEY NEED TO GET A LIFE. Reminds me of another moron called Stan.
Leena   Sat May 06, 2006 8:17 am GMT
hello abc
thank you so much for your nice feeling.He said his openion and what he thinks im doing right here and i liked to clear up this to him.All of us are friends and help each other.
Boy   Sat May 06, 2006 11:34 am GMT
I cant figure out

to figure out something means to solve or understand it. Sometimes people drop preposition "out" from the expression and they simply say "figure".

ex: I figured that I couldn't make progress much faster in English if there was no Uriel for answering to my Englsh-related questions. :-)
Leena   Sun May 07, 2006 6:31 am GMT
Thank u so much boy
Seayuan   Sun May 07, 2006 8:33 am GMT
I also learnt a lot from the above answers.

Leena, I am also doing ELS course, and I am taking AP3, and you?
Leena   Sun May 07, 2006 9:38 am GMT
hello seayuan
when any one of us ask a question the answers usually are useful for any English learner.I have plenty of questions i wanna ask about an i need answers but as the arabic saying(kuluh fi wagtuh helo) which means everything comes on a proper time is good.im esl learner right now and im doing intensive self-study course at home.i major in arts at university.