accent

lili   Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:55 pm GMT
I am from East Africa. I born and rise in Africa. Now I am living in UK,I am trying hard to improve myaccent and the language. Could you give me an advice to improve my African acent?
Jim C, Jorvikskyr   Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:45 pm GMT
You have an advantage over other people who have asked how to improve their accent, as you live in the UK natuarly your accent and language skills will improve overtime. I gues you want instant success though :) So the best course of action would be a local College, or local School who supply night courses from your local Council (very good, I got my Maths GCSE this way). There should be a good selection of English courses depending on what your skill level is.

To be getting on with, a tip given often on this site, is to watch BBC news programmes, though as you live in the UK I'de say watch Channel Four news (its just a better news programme). Immitate the way they pronounce words, though dont imitate Sarah Smith's accent, we don't want you having a Scottish accent now ;)

http://www.channel4.com/news/video/video_archive/index.html

Watch some archive footage there, while you are online. Immitate away!
Guest   Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:00 pm GMT
Hey! What's wrong with the scottish accent? It's a british accent. Where abouts in britain are you from because there is no such thing as a british accent, instead there are lots of different ones. Just try and imitate how your british friends pronounce words.
Jim C, Jorvikskyr   Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:40 pm GMT
I was kidding,
Guest   Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:10 pm GMT
I know. I was just messin with ya.
Jim C, Jorvikskyr   Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:58 am GMT
Just checking, you know how some people can get on this site!