Confusing Expressions

Rick Johnson   Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:44 pm GMT
I sometimes think it must be hard for non-native speakers to understand what is meant by some expressions. I don't know whether these are international or not, but these are a few that confused me as a child.

"To put some elbow grease into it", means to rub hard but as a child I literally tried cleaning the table with my elbow.

"To pull ones socks up", means to work harder. When the teacher said this to me when I was 5, I did as I was told.

"To turn somewhere upside down", means to make a mess rather than any great feat of strength. I think my imagination ran riot with this one.

Anyone think of any others?
Whistler   Mon May 01, 2006 6:00 pm GMT
To have a dry whistle - means not being very good at whistling. When my brother was told he had a dry whistle he licked his lips and tried again.

To whet (wet) your whistle - usually means to have a drink (tends to be alcoholic). I think it just confused me completely when I first heard it.
Jim C, Jorvikskyr   Mon May 01, 2006 6:06 pm GMT
"Whet/wet your Whistle" come from when you were served at your table in pubs, from a pitcher of ale. You would drink out of pot tankards, which had a whistle built into the handle, you would blow the whistle when you wanted a top up.
Rick Johnson   Mon May 01, 2006 9:31 pm GMT
<<You would blow the whistle when you wanted a top up.>>

Maybe I might try that in my local..............."more beer wench!"
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon May 01, 2006 10:57 pm GMT
It's been a braw sunny day today...yesterday it was raining cats and dogs.
Jim C, Jorvikskyr   Mon May 01, 2006 11:32 pm GMT
Dribs and Drabs here, got my onion sets planted though. I remember hearing where Dogs and Cats came from, but I have completly forgoten, I will get back to you on that one.
Jim C, Jorvikskyr   Tue May 02, 2006 12:33 am GMT