English- what is it really?

Franz Ferdinand Fan   Sun May 07, 2006 2:03 am GMT
English. what kind of language is it? Is it considered a latin, Anglo-Saxon or isolated language?
D6078AO   Sun May 07, 2006 9:59 am GMT
It's a Germanic language.
greg   Sun May 07, 2006 2:39 pm GMT
C'est une langue germanique dont pratiquement tout le spectre lexical a été très fortement francisé et latinisé.

Le fonds lexical primitif est aujourd'hui très minoritaire puisque 80 à 90 % des étymons anglo-saxons originels ont disparu.

La part de l'élément germanique (toutes langues confondues) dans le vocabulaire anglais vient en troisième position, après le français et le latin. La part de l'anglo-saxon dans l'élément germanique est elle même minoritaire.

Autre particularité de l'anglais : marquage du pluriel à l'aide du suffixe <s>, comme en français.
Guest   Sun May 07, 2006 3:53 pm GMT
<<Autre particularité de l'anglais : marquage du pluriel à l'aide du suffixe <s>, comme en français. >>

Like French yes, but from French?, no. The <s> plural comes from Old English <as> which was the most common plural declension. Akin to the Dutch <s> plural and the Scandinavian <r> plural.
greg   Sun May 07, 2006 4:37 pm GMT
C'est un peu le problème de la poule et de l'œuf. Il y a fort à parier que l'extension du suffixe <s> comme marqueur de pluralité est lié à l'existence du même phénomène en ancien français d'Outremanche (le suffixe <s> n'étant pas, à l'origine, un suffixe numéral mais casuel).

On peut couper la poire en deux si l'on songe à la situation contrastée entre le Nord et le Sud de l'Angleterre.
L'extension de la suffixation germanique en <s> (à l'origine un paradigme masculin, je crois) au neutre et au féminin a été rapidement dominante dans le Nord alors que le Sud a plus longtemps conservé la suffixation en <(e)n> : <namen>, <shoon> etc.
Sachant que l'influence française a été beaucoup plus forte dans le Sud que dans le Nord, il n'est pas impossible que le français ait contrarié la tendance naturelle au maintien de marquages numéraux différenciés dans l'Angleterre méridionale.
Adam   Sun May 07, 2006 6:55 pm GMT
I thought foreign languages weren't allowed to be spoken on this section of the website.
D6078AE   Sun May 07, 2006 9:04 pm GMT
"I thought foreign languages weren't allowed to be spoken on this section of the website."

Wht a blinkered chauvinist you are, Adam. This is a "website" as you stated yourself. It exists in cyberspace - so what "foreign language" could you possibly mean? And how is English any less a foreign language on this site than French?

I'm Canadian, so for me, greg's use of French is fine: neither English nor French is a foreign language in Canada.

Perhaps your complaint would have carried more weight if you had gently suggested to greg that this was an English-language site.
Adam   Sun May 07, 2006 9:19 pm GMT
"so what "foreign language" could you possibly mean? "

French?!?!

"I'm Canadian"

Yeah, but does that mean that everyone else here is?

I'm English, and the last time I checked French isn't an official language anywhere in England.
Adam   Sun May 07, 2006 9:22 pm GMT
Here is Franz Ferdinand Fan starting a topic in English and Greg (who can speak English) replies in French.

In my view, that's ignorant, and is just typical of an arrogant Frenchman who's sulking (as the French are good at) because people speak in mostly English on this website rather than in mostly French.
D6078AB   Sun May 07, 2006 9:34 pm GMT
Me: "What a blinkered chauvinist you are, Adam."

Adam: "I'm English, and the last time I checked French isn't an official language anywhere in England."

Me: "What a blinkered chauvinist you are, Adam."
Jim C, Jorvikskyr   Sun May 07, 2006 9:57 pm GMT
I'm not one who finds supporting Adam something that sits well on the stomache, but the rules of this forum state that English is the only language to be used. I have no problem with French being used on the Languages forum of this site, and I will take the time to sit with my French dictionary (kept just by my computer screen) in order to understand it. Ide would prefere Greg and others to leave a translation underneath for those that may have learnt another language at school, or people like me who simply have forgotten every thing they learnt..:)
It may be a lot to ask, and you can refuse...but if you do, think what kind of message you are sending about your language.
Fredrik from Norway   Mon May 08, 2006 12:02 am GMT
Why not just let nature have it's way? If greg likes to reply in French why not, except that his efforts will be mostly wasted, as few can understand what he has written.
D6085HO   Mon May 08, 2006 10:51 am GMT
"[T]he rules of this forum state that English is the only language to be used."

That's fine.

But it's what Adam should have pointed out to "greg" in the first place instead of making a stupid remark about French being "foreign."
Jim C, Jorvikskyr   Mon May 08, 2006 1:38 pm GMT
True, we are a Global Village now (I think it sounds dead cheesey, but what the hey) so foreign is not a word that is appropriate on a web site like this, I miss interprited your point before, sorry.
greg   Mon May 08, 2006 3:30 pm GMT
Adam : « I thought *foreign* *languages* weren't *allowed* to be spoken on this *section* of the web*site*. »

Et moi je pensais que les propos idiots tenus par des ignorants n'étaient pas permis non plus.