Similar accents of languages apparently unrelated

dicionário   Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:50 am GMT
Ending s sounds sh, or s depending which portuguese dialect you speak, but never sounds j. Unless you do not nave that sound in your native language. By the way, jose has an accent, it is writen José. Good work, keep learning portuguese.
keep learning   Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:54 pm GMT
José Laruca is right.
The right pronunciation of LUIS in Portuguese from Portugal ist Loo-ee-dz and not Loo-ee-sh. dz= english s as in vision.
The right pronunciation   Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:30 pm GMT
Loo-ee-dz
dz= english s as in vision.

Vision or vidzion? you just made a mess of yourself (j does not sound like s). Spoken by an english speaker it may sound like the (s) from vision. Try a portuguese tv channel and you learn it real fast. They pronounce luis the ending (s )- sh as in shopping, I am not considering regional accents that may differ.
JGreco   Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:18 pm GMT
"Vision or vidzion? you just made a mess of yourself (j does not sound like s). Spoken by an english speaker it may sound like the (s) from vision. Try a portuguese tv channel and you learn it real fast. They pronounce luis the ending (s )- sh as in shopping, I am not considering regional accents that may differ."

You are right and wrong. In most of Portugal it is a "sh" sound but in most Brazil it is a "s" sound.
The right pronunciation   Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:59 am GMT
I wrote:
"I am not considering regional accents that may differ"
Riadach   Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:57 pm GMT
I alweays found that the accent used in scots gaelic is extremely close to swedish especially among the islands. Perhaps due to the strong norwegian settlement in the hebrides.
Riadach   Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:58 pm GMT
Sorry I mean Norse, not Norwegian
Adam   Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:40 am GMT
South Africans, Australians and New Zealanders all speak with similar accents, as do Canadians and many Americans.

It's almost impossible to tell the difference between an Australian and a New Zealander.
Saravakos   Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:32 am GMT
Hi everyone could you please help me with an argument am having which has to do with Romania having a lot of similarities with Italy. Do romanians came from italy? Atleast that is what i have heard from many people and cannot really be sure of it. Please help if you can, you seem like a very inteligent group of peaple.
Yannis   Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:10 pm GMT
Hello everyone. Being Greek, I can say that the accent is very similar to Spanish and that's why I have a native-like accent in Spanish (so I've been told by Spaniards in Barcelona) , something that would be impossible with English although I can speak and write English fluently as I am studying in the UK, while my Spanish is in the low-Superior level.
Parisien   Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:05 am GMT
"Do romanians came from italy?"

Many of them, yes. The province of Dacia underwent a systematic colonisation like no other part of the Roman empire. Research has found significant genetic similarities between Romanian population and specifically the Ancona region in Italy (Ancona was the harbour town where emigrants embarked to Illyria and other Balkan countries).

When I hear Romanians speaking I have the sensation of some unintelligible Slavic/Magyar compound, with sometimes a few Italian words unexpectedly emerging... (but Portuguese definitely sounds even more Slavic)
Ian   Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:33 am GMT