help, which one is right ?

tae won   Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:41 am GMT
1) Alright, when did you have it on last?

2) Alright, when did you have it at last?

on or at ?

thanks in advance
D   Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:23 pm GMT
Can you paraphrease what the question is about? Both of the sentences you gave could be correct in certain circumstances.
tae won   Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:59 pm GMT
Someone lost his ring so the other one asked a question.
tae won   Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:01 pm GMT
It's from this script.

--> Monica: Easy Rach, we'll find it. (To all) Won't we!

Chandler and Joey: Oh! Yeah!

Joey: Alright, when'd'ya have it on last?

Phoebe: Doy! Probably right before she lost it!

Chandler: You don't get a lot of 'doy' these days...
Ant_222   Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:13 pm GMT
I thought, neither on nor at was correct here:

Alright, when did you have it last?
Gjones2   Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:48 pm GMT
>1) Alright [or all right], when did you have it on last?
>2) Alright [or all right], when did you have it at last?

In the context you gave (asking when was the last time Rach was wearing the ring), the second choice doesn't fit. "At last" means finally, implying at the end of a long period. There's no reason in this context to emphasize the length of the period.

If all Joey wanted to know was when Rach last had the ring in her possession, he would have asked what Ant_222 suggested, "...when did you have it last?" That would include not only wearing it, but having it in her purse, in her jewelry box, on a table in her bedroom, on the counter in the bathroom, anywhere easily accessible to her. Grammatically this is a good question, but psychologically I don't believe it would be what Joey would ask. She probably doesn't remember that. Otherwise she wouldn't be looking for the ring.

Maybe, though, she can recall some of the times when she knows that she had it on her finger, and figure out which was the last time she can remember. I believe that Joey is asking, when did she have the ring on [her finger] last. If she remembers wearing it at a particular time, she can try to recall what she did afterwards that may have caused the ring to come off or made her decide to take it off (and where she was when that happened). For asking that question, I'd use choice 1.
D   Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:35 pm GMT
In the context of losing a ring, the first sentence is correct.
``Have it on'' means ``wear it'' and so the question
``When did you have it on last?'' means ``When did you wear it last?''
which is a reasonable question about a lost ring. The word ``on''
doesn't modify the word last -- the word on is part of the phrasal verb ``have on''.
tae won   Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:46 pm GMT
Thanks for all your comments. Now I can fully understand.