Why isnt English the official language of the USA?

Jim C, York   Tue May 09, 2006 12:21 pm GMT
Thanks for the link, Ill have a bit more of a read of all your comments later. That PBS Sorting people link on the page you linked me to was really good, more people should look at that and have a good think over it. Its just a passing interest from this thread anyway Uriel, I'm more interested in how people interact with each other in general, though "ethnicity" often plays a part how people perseve each other and them selves. Sillyness in my mind, but its the world we live in I suppose, risky when you simply ignore it like the French have.

Damian, I'm planning on going to the Fringe this year, got a mate involved in it, and a few people from my old school putting some play on. Looks like a good laugh when I see about it on tv.
moi!   Tue May 09, 2006 3:29 pm GMT
http://www.langcafe.net/viewtopic.php?t=796&postorder=asc&start=15

Everyone is there!!!!!! You realise that Adam and BNP are going to join now. Big mistake.
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue May 09, 2006 3:30 pm GMT
Good for you, Jim...the Fringe is always really good fun......loads and loads to go and see and even join in, especially all the street events. Try and go to the Pleasance Courtyard and bar I mentioned....it's great, and try and stay for the big end of Festival party.....next best thing to Hogmanay!!!!

Pleasance Edinburgh:

http://www.pleasance.co.uk/edinburgh
BNP   Tue May 09, 2006 8:21 pm GMT
"http://www.langcafe.net/viewtopic.php?t=796&postorder=asc&start=15

Everyone is there!!!!!! You realise that Adam and BNP are going to join now. Big mistake."

I'm joining.
Adam   Tue May 09, 2006 8:50 pm GMT
Me too!
Uriel   Wed May 10, 2006 9:12 am GMT
They can join all they want. Unlike here, they will have to behave themselves there, or adios.
An Fear   Wed May 10, 2006 6:40 pm GMT
That sounds nice.
Kirk   Fri May 12, 2006 8:31 am GMT
<<The US doesn't need an official language. It's a big place, with room for lots of variety.>>

Totally agreed. We're fine without trying to regulate language. Also, inidividual states can and do define official languages if they so choose.

One thing to mention is that even tho a language may not be officially on the books as an "official language" if there are enough people who speak a language in various parts of the US various official services will often be made available to them in their native language. Signs are often bilingual or multilingual in California and things like voter registrations and written driving tests can be taken in dozens of languages.

<<They can join all they want. Unlike here, they will have to behave themselves there, or adios.>>

Yup. Anyone can join. But they just need to obey common rules of decency and not spam or troll around. If someone does that we kick 'em out. I much prefer discussing topics like this one on other forums such as langcafe since the nasty trolls are kept to a minimum and there are specific forums so people can post topics in the appopriate sub-forums.
jeff   Wed May 24, 2006 3:22 am GMT
My understanding is that our countries founders took a vote and by one vote they chose English over German. English being the nations language is only that. People can keep thier heritage and speak more than one language in this country. If you want to live here you should learn english. Hang to the culture you come from, its OK.
Lazar   Wed May 24, 2006 3:56 am GMT
<<My understanding is that our countries founders took a vote and by one vote they chose English over German.>>

Actually, that's a myth. In 1795 a group German settlers in Virginia asked Congress to make German translations of federal laws available to the states, and the House chose (by one vote) not to consider the proposal. ( http://www.snopes.com/language/apocryph/german.htm ) There was never any proposal to make anyone learn German - just a debate over whether federal laws should be printed in both English and German, or just in English.
Lazar   Wed May 24, 2006 3:58 am GMT
Sorry - "a group German settlers" should be "a group of German settlers" above.
Mxsmanic   Wed May 24, 2006 5:08 am GMT
At least in 1795 Congress still had a spine.
mary   Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:46 pm GMT
i'm hispanic but that is kind of stupid and we are asking for to much if we want the anthem to be in spanish. this is not our home land so therefore its not our problem.
but this a free country and if you make english an official language you are taking that freedom away from the U.S.A.
Rock \m/   Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:20 am GMT
Yes, Mary is right.
The real traesure in US is freedom.
If you really want to sing the anthem in whatever language, just go for it, it does't really a matter.

But remenber that, when you are a guest in someone's party, you are supposed to dance with its tone. That is what we call "respect"!
Pete   Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:19 pm GMT
That's all very practical. :)