British accents

Kimi   Sun May 07, 2006 11:08 pm GMT
I have been wanting to learn how to speak with a british accent for quite some time now and was wondering if anyone could give me a hand?
Guest   Sun May 07, 2006 11:10 pm GMT
Why certainly old chap! What a thoroughly spiffing idea.
Guest   Mon May 08, 2006 12:40 pm GMT
Ye ok. But what kinda british accent?
juan   Mon May 08, 2006 1:53 pm GMT
personaly i hate the brits. they are smug and anoying. in my opinion speaking in a british accent is like telling people to punch you in the face. you shoud learn how to speak in a canadean accent so if they reanstate the draft you can move to canada and sound like you bellong there.
Dan   Mon May 08, 2006 10:35 pm GMT
Kimi,
ignore juan's stupid comment and get yourself some Harry Potter movies.
Or Narnia!
Jim C, York   Mon May 08, 2006 11:42 pm GMT
Shaun Of The Dead would be better, that is offcourse if you don't want to talk like a privately educated 11 year old. 28 Days Later (big in the USA I hear). A bit of Monty Python won't hurt (as long as you avoid the funny accents). British Stand Up comedy as well, laugh while you learn!
Uriel   Tue May 09, 2006 9:25 am GMT
Plus, in Shaun of the Dead you will learn important cultural facts about the British, such as the fact that guns are wasted on the English -- give them a perfectly serviceable Winchester rifle and they will whack people over the heads with it.

Byt the way, was Nick's use and abuse of old American slang as howlingly funny to the British as it was to me? I almost pissed myself every time he busted out with it!
lu   Tue May 09, 2006 12:36 pm GMT
What about fawlty tower then, I think the accent is not very strong.
By the way it's the funniest show I've ever watched.
Jim C, Jorvikskyr   Tue May 09, 2006 1:28 pm GMT
Fawlty Towers, pure gold. "Baaaassiiiilll!!!!!" you will shout alot if you imitate their voices ;)

Yeah Uriel, thats us lol...plus the fact, your in a tight spot...what do you do?...GO TO THE PUB!!! Me and my mates discussed the fact that Shaun Of The Dead is the best advertisment of English and British culture ever :)
Every thing they do in that film, is exactly what we would do, and thats whats so funny about...ahhh our quirky ways. Why is it were so proud of being so rubbish?

Aye, Nick Frost is great, ive been following his career for a while. Even from his brief 4 second apearance as an extra on one of Simon Pegg's old sketch shows, he was a builder eying up a fury puppet strutting down a street. Random how I remember that.
Guest   Tue May 09, 2006 1:32 pm GMT
Try two pints of lager and a packet of crisps or little britain... ok maybe not little britain if you want a genuine accent.