what movie?

abc   Mon May 08, 2006 12:59 pm GMT
-"A striking story. And now the people want to know how the story ends..only a famous death will do. And what could be more glorious than to challenge the emperor himself in the great arena."
-"You would fight me?"
-"Why not?Do you think I'm afraid?"
-"I think you've been afraid all your life"
-"Unlike ...?"
-"I knew a man who once said 'death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back'"
-"I wonder.. did your friend smile at his death"
-" You must know. He was your father."

K. Which movie is this scene taken from?
Jim C, Jorvikskyr   Mon May 08, 2006 1:14 pm GMT
Near the end of Gladiator, with Russel Crow and J "can't spell his name" Pheonix
abc   Mon May 08, 2006 1:25 pm GMT
Dude, that is such an AWESOME move.
Lemme finish up that part since you got it:
"Unlike Maximus the invincible. Who knows no fear"
-"I knew a man who once said 'death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back'"
-"I wonder.. did your friend smile at his death"
-" You must know. He was your father."
-" You loved my father I knew it. But so did I. That makes us brothers doesn't? Smile for me now brother..(aaaawch)"
Uriel   Mon May 08, 2006 3:48 pm GMT
Joaquin, Jim. Joaquin. How Wa-KEEN is spelled in Spanish, where there are no W's or K's.
Jim C, York   Mon May 08, 2006 4:15 pm GMT
Cheers Uriel. What was his brothers name?
Uriel   Mon May 08, 2006 4:18 pm GMT
It's a big family, but the one you're probably thinking of was River Phoenix. Joaquin, by the way, went by "Leaf" for a few years as a child, before reverting to the name on his birth certificate, if I remember the story correctly. If you see the movie Parenthood, he was Dianne Wiest's young son, and was not billed as Joaquin.
Jim C, York   Mon May 08, 2006 11:44 pm GMT
River Pheonix died didn't he? That is all very interesting, Cheers again Uriel.
Uriel   Tue May 09, 2006 9:13 am GMT
Croaked in front of the Viper Room. Playing mix & match with illegal substances will do that. Cheers back atcha!
abc   Tue May 09, 2006 11:21 am GMT
"The general who became a slave, the slave who became a gladiator, the gladiator who defied an emperor. A striking story."
Gabriel   Sun May 14, 2006 9:54 pm GMT
<<Joaquin, Jim. Joaquin. How Wa-KEEN is spelled in Spanish, where there are no W's or K's.>>

I've never regarded the spelling as being the result of Spanish not having W's or K's (as an aside, K features in many common words in Spanish, including kilómetro and kiosco). I pronounce it [xOa"kin]. Is there an English spelling for the name I'm not aware of?
Jim C, York   Mon May 15, 2006 2:00 am GMT
I supose "Kiosco" and "kilómetro" are the Spanish twist on Kiosk and Kilometre, each country has their own version of these pan-european words. Similar to how the Welsh add their own twist on some English words, so they fit in better with their language, only when a word with similar meaning isn't available.

Out of intrest, how would a Spaniard pronounce "Adam"? My Spanish housmate used to pronounce it "Atham" or something along those lines, I don't know whether he mis-heard it originaly or something.
Uriel   Mon May 15, 2006 5:36 am GMT
K's and W's seem to feature in Spanish words that have been borrowed from other languages that have them. Yes, modern Spanish includes all the same letters that others do -- I was just pointing out (not very well, I guess) to Jim that joa- (like hua-) is pronounced "wa-" and qui- in Spanish is always "kee" (unlike in English, where qu- usually is pronounced "kw-").
Don   Mon May 15, 2006 7:44 am GMT
>Near the end of Gladiator, with Russel Crow and J "can't spell his name"<

It's Crowe, with an E. He lives at Nana Glen.
Gabriel   Mon May 15, 2006 5:10 pm GMT
<<Out of intrest, how would a Spaniard pronounce "Adam"? My Spanish housmate used to pronounce it "Atham" or something along those lines, I don't know whether he mis-heard it originaly or something. >>

Though not a Spaniard but a Spanish speaker of the Latin American ilk, my pronunciation would be something like ["aDam]. D's are usually dental fricatives in Spanish, so your housemate's pronunciation is what should be expected of a Spaniard I guess. My knowledge of English might betray me and lead me to produce ["{d@m] even when speaking Spanish. The name has a Spanish form, Adán [a"Dan] though, at least in Uruguay, it is pretty rare.
Jim C, York   Mon May 15, 2006 5:23 pm GMT
Cheers Uriel and Gabriel. I'm starting to think I mis-heard him or something, because another friend who was learning Spanish said he would have pronounced it D, unless my house mate was from a specific region with a different dialect? I can't remember where he was from now...university messes with you memory ;)