That one book.

Presley.   Tue May 09, 2006 3:52 am GMT
What was that one comedy book about the American man who goes to London, or something, to teach??

I heard it was quite good, but I didn't catch the title of it.
George   Tue May 09, 2006 6:30 am GMT
Hmm...

Could you perhaps be referring to "Notes from a Small Island" (US title "I'm a Stranger Here Myself") by Bill Bryson? Incidently, Bryson lived in England for over 20 years, writing for "The Times" and "The Independent" before moving back to the US in 1995. He has since returned to England, where he currently resides with his wife and kids.
Jim C, Jorvikskyr   Tue May 09, 2006 7:10 am GMT
He's the honoury Dean of Durham Uni as well I think, something like that, my sister got her degree certificate from him.
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue May 09, 2006 7:29 am GMT
I didn't know that the American title was "I'm a Stranger Here Myself". Well, Bryson certainly isn't a stranger here any more, especially now that he's returned to these islands permanently. One of the features I liked most about the book was the way he soon got to understand and appreciate the British sense of humour, something which leaves many Americans totally gobsmacked in their misinterpretation. :-)

Like when he went to a train station to buy a ticket for a single journey. As he was being refunded with all expenses incurred during the writing of the book he had to obtain receipts for everything he paid out. He requested this of the guy in the ticket office at this train station (I think it was in Yorkshire) and as the booking clerk handed over the ticket plus receipt he said: "The ticket's free but it's £18.50 for the receipt please".

Bryson said that if that had happened in America the traveller would have been outraged and wondered "what sort of cockamammy outfit" was this running a business that way. Until I read that I'd never heard of the word "cockamammy". It's gives the Brits a buzz when Americans think we're "cockamammy" when in actual fact it's nothing more than a good laugh. It isn't done just to take the piss out of the Americans (we try hard not to do that, not always successfully).....or anyone else......it's just the way we are.

If it offends, either deal with it....or....simply stay away....please.
Guest   Tue May 09, 2006 3:36 pm GMT
>>the booking clerk handed over the ticket plus receipt he said: "The ticket's free but it's £18.50 for the receipt please."<<

LOL! That's brilliant. If a ticket seller had said that to me (providing tickets were normally £18.50) I'd have laughed. It's funny. Surely the Americans would be able to see the humour if this happened in America?!
Fredrik from Norway   Tue May 09, 2006 4:29 pm GMT
I love Bill Bryson's humour, but the last example is simply just not funny.
It's a bad, childish joke. But hey, I'm just a guy from cold and depressive Ultima Thule :-))
111   Tue May 09, 2006 4:59 pm GMT
If a ticket seller had said that to me, I would have answered... Fine, I am the "secret client" and I am going to talk with your manager.
:)
George   Tue May 09, 2006 11:18 pm GMT
<<I didn't know that the American title was "I'm a Stranger Here Myself".>>

Oops! I was wrong. "I'm a Stranger Here Myself" is the American title of "Notes from a Big Country." Sorry.
Jim C, York   Tue May 09, 2006 11:31 pm GMT
His book "Mother Tongue" is very interesting as well, and kind of right up our street, being about the English language.
Presley.   Wed May 10, 2006 1:30 am GMT
My thankfulness goes out to you kind folk.