ACCENT SAMPLE-PLEASE LISTEN/ CRITIQUE

I HATE MY ACCENT/VOICE   Mon May 15, 2006 6:13 pm GMT
http://media.putfile.com/voice-sample-78

That is the link to my accent sample.

I challenge you guys to figure out the two speech impediments that I'm trying to cover up (bad job.)

Can you tell where I'm from?

What should I change???

Feel free to be nasty and extremely critical.

Thanks
hate   Mon May 15, 2006 11:00 pm GMT
come on in
listen   Tue May 16, 2006 9:22 am GMT
listen
Guest   Tue May 16, 2006 8:05 pm GMT
Guest   Tue May 16, 2006 8:06 pm GMT
It seems nobody's ready to tackle this one. I'm not sure what speech impediments you're trying to cover up, a slight lisp maybe? I noticed your r's were not always the usual [r/] or [r/']. Perhaps some labial coarticulation?
I HATE MY ACCENT/VOICE   Tue May 16, 2006 10:04 pm GMT
In the following sample I respond to 'Guest.'

http://media.putfile.com/SAMPLE-2-20
Guest   Tue May 16, 2006 10:28 pm GMT
I meant that it sounds as if you were pronouncing your r's with a little help from your lips, but that could be a totally wrong impression. Am I right about the lisp? Don't hate your accent, by the way, mine is much worse.
I HATE MY ACCEBT/VOICE   Tue May 16, 2006 10:56 pm GMT
I think you might be right about my r's and your totally right about my horrible lisp.

I think I hate my articulation and rising inflection more than I hate the tone of my voice.

Impediment #2 is harder to notice because it isn't as awful as impediment #1. I swear that I'm going to avoid all 'S' sounds for the rest of my life.

Question 2

Can you tell where I'm from?
Guest   Tue May 16, 2006 11:39 pm GMT
You're Mary-marry-merry merged (there was even a fourth ["mEri] in your clip, lol) and you're definitely not cot-caught merged. Apart from that, I'm having a hard time placing you, I'll give it another try later.
Guest   Wed May 17, 2006 2:27 am GMT
You sound American (Latino or Black?) to me, though I'm not American.
Gabriel   Wed May 17, 2006 5:51 pm GMT
The fact that he's American was rather obvious from the start, but where in America? I don't think he has a noticeable east coast accent, and judging from his cot-caught distinction, I don't think he's from California either. His /aI/ is almost like [a:]~[A:]; could the speaker be from the South?
Guest   Fri May 19, 2006 9:12 am GMT
I guess you are just underestimating your accent, you have a very cool accent, I wish I had your accent.
Gabriel   Sun May 21, 2006 11:26 pm GMT
So, where are you from then?
I hate my accent   Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:46 pm GMT
I am a black American from Georgia.
Guest   Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:03 am GMT
You are definitely not American, White, Black or otherwise. You don't sound close to any American dialect, it appears you are an English learner. I would imagine you to be someone from Asia, -maybe Southeast of Asia. You do not sound like American or any native English speaker. I would recommend you work more on sounds of English and its associated rhythm and stress patterns. Good luck