Which part is torso?

Lazarakis   Tue May 16, 2006 5:50 am GMT
"...This stretch also helps to loosen tense abdominal muscles, which may be responsible for the stitches or cramps in the torso that runners sometimes get."

"Twist your body to the left towards your extended leg, placing both hands as far down your calf as you can. Bring your chest and torso as close to your extended leg as possible..."

I used to think that "torso" includes chest and abdomen. But in the 2 paragraphs, it seems torso only refers to abdomen??
ravi   Tue May 16, 2006 7:36 am GMT
Torso is an anatomical term for the greater part of the human body without the head and limbs. It is also referred to as the trunk. The torso includes the chest, back, and abdomen.
Lazarakis   Tue May 16, 2006 2:06 pm GMT
This is why I got confused:

If torso already includes the chest, why would the second paragraph say "bring your chest and torso as close to ..."?

And, the first paragraph mentioned above says tense "abdominal" muscles may be responsible for...the torso...".

So, I mean, when people say "torso", maybe sometimes it only refers to abdomen. Can it be so?
Jim C, York   Tue May 16, 2006 2:19 pm GMT
Rubbish work out videos...
I have to say I sometimes watch latenight shopping channels, they have to be the cheesyest piles of crap I have ever seen! Chef Tony of super cookware or summin, is a complete idiot, and the fake suprise of the audience etc. is hilarious.

On the workout ones, why do they say "buns"??? Why!!! it sounds moronic!

Plus the English demonstrators always pronounce words like the Americans do (I doubt it is because they have been over there for a long time)

I have had a thought on why they say chest and torso, Its probably instead of saying chest and stomache, stomache doesn't bring images of fittness to mind really....well not for me at any rate.
Guest   Tue May 16, 2006 8:00 pm GMT
I always thought the torso was the area below the sternum and above the crest of the iliac.
Lazarakis   Fri May 19, 2006 3:02 am GMT
And another quesiton as I continue reading--

"This movement will stretch your buttocks and lowerback, as well as your hip. Hold this position..."

Aren't buttocks the same thing as hip?? Or, maybe they refer to different area of one's bottom when speaking precisely?

Besides, I've been wondering this: is lower back the same part as waist?
american nic   Fri May 19, 2006 3:44 am GMT
No the buttocks aren't hips. They are the muscles in your butt, the gluteal muscles.
Uriel   Fri May 19, 2006 9:23 am GMT
The hips are the SIDES of your pelvis, in English. The buttocks are the muscular (or fatty, in some cases) area around back. They are not the same.

The lower back is the area around the lumbar region of your spine, below the waist and above the aforementioned buttocks. The waist is an imaginary line that makes a whole circumference around your middle, passing through your bellybutton. So they are not the same thing, either.