Eurovision Song Contest, 2006 GREECE!

Jim C, York, Come On UK!   Wed May 17, 2006 12:44 am GMT
Well, it's nearly upon us, the annual sugar coated pop extravaganza which brings joy to all our hearts, but for all the wrong reasons. Will the UK win again for the first time since 1981 with Bucks Fizz, or will we come second for the 16th time? Will Ireland screw us over like they did in 1988 by voting Céline Dion 1 point ahead of us to win. Or again will a German maniac use the set as a climbing frame? And what will be the Greek version of the river dance?!

I’ve just heard the UK entry, and I’m non too pleased. “Teenage Life” isn’t the best song in the world, but maybe, just maybe our continental brethren will vote for its pure cheesiness. I will vote for Ireland (keep it in the family, keeping it in the Eurovision tradition of voting for your neighbours) though their song isn’t much better than ours. Of course my money this year is one Belgium, but I would not be surprised if Iceland won with their lollypop/techno/Scissor Sister rip off. The Norwegian entry seems doomed to Nil Points, after all, why would any Eurovision viewer want to see five men dressed as zombies singing bad metal music again?.

Well, let me know what you reckon to this years Eurovision, and who you think you will vote for. See you in Athens on Saturday (through the magic of television, I won’t actually be there) ;)
Guest   Wed May 17, 2006 12:47 am GMT
I can't wait for the sarcastic voice-over of the commentator!
Jim C, York, Come On UK!   Wed May 17, 2006 12:55 am GMT
Ahhh Terry Wogan, what a bloke.

I wonder what moronic couple Greece can muster up to present the whole thing?!......I really hope they dont sing at the begining, or do a rhyme.....or start acting all like a couple in love, that makes me sick....but laugh at the same time, thats whats great about Eurovision!
Real Deal   Wed May 17, 2006 5:57 am GMT
Dima Beelan represents Russia. Be prepared he will be allover shaking, jumping, quevering etc it's his fortee. I would rather send Chai v dvoeom instead.
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed May 17, 2006 7:55 am GMT
The only interesting part of the Eurocrappy Vision Snog (sorry...song) Contest is the way almost all* the voting centres across Continental Europe use English as the Language of communication. The format is so predictable. They all speak English but punish the home of the English Language by denying them votes because of a perceived alliance with Uncle Sam. Even stranger is the fact that some of the countries taking part are not even European! Since when has Israel been in Europe? Why not invite Cambodia or Bolivia or Burkina Faso to take part? Come on and join the Eurosongfest you guys!

*Excluding Paris or Monaco of course......Royaume Uni: nul points.

Wogan is predictable as well with his sarcastic comments on the whole political farce, especially when one Scandi country votes for its next door neighbour and one Balkan gives dix points to another.

Why Le Royaume Uni continues to get involved with this whole crappy political circus is (BLEEP) dumfooning (to use a Scottish expression). Anyway the almost universal use of the English Language (apart from French speaking countries of course) makes it a lot easier to follow the whole bizarre (BLEEP).

I've watched it about 3 times...now I'd much rather go out clubbing.
Kenneth   Wed May 17, 2006 8:00 am GMT
The contest has been dreadful for decades now, as Mr Wogan points out so well. His groans are the only entertaining parts of the three or four hours of the rubbish which passes for music now in most of the competing countries.

If only they'd send Cliff over to sing Livin' Doll.
Guest   Wed May 17, 2006 9:14 am GMT
"Wogan is predictable as well with his sarcastic comments on the whole political farce, especially when one Scandi country votes for its next door neighbour and one Balkan gives dix points to another."

Good! It's only appropriate considering that farcical circus is predictable. Didn't U2 once refer to it as Zooropa?
Guest   Wed May 17, 2006 9:16 am GMT
At the end of the night the English usually win because the winning song is usually sung in English.
Benjamin   Wed May 17, 2006 10:52 am GMT
Eurovision is the highlight of my year — seriously!

Actually, I don't think that the low points of the UK over the past few years really has much to do with the Iraq war. If you notice, over the past few years, Britain, France, Germany and Spain, the countries who pay for most of it, have all come right near the bottom (Italy went off in a strop a few years ago because they weren't getting any points, so they now don't enter). It's seems that the main Western European powers are not very popular with the likes of Serbia & Montenegro and Bosnia-Herzegovina.

By the way, the last time which the UK won was in 1997, not 1981.
Jim C, York, Come On UK!   Wed May 17, 2006 10:54 am GMT
I always think it is a bit sad they don't sing in their own languages, though English does beat their little plan of just singing "LA LA LA" or other gobledygook. Terry Wogan does make me laugh, for some weird reason I do like to watch it....does help if you're drunk...
Adam   Thu May 18, 2006 4:53 pm GMT
Britain will win it this year.

Our entry is a guy singing rap music with teenage girls dancing in school uniform.

It certainly beats Finland's entry.
Liam   Fri May 19, 2006 7:38 am GMT
Rap "music"?
Jim C, York, Come On UK!   Fri May 19, 2006 1:26 pm GMT
Ive heard it called a Pink Floyd another brick in the wall rip off, but apparently its by half of the group United Nations, which seemingly is very popular in Eastern Europe so maybe things might be different this year?

I can't believe I forgot about Katrina and the Waves! 1997
Dana International won the year after in Birmingham, how could I forget that!

Congratulations (and celebrations...urgh I hate Cliff) to Ireland for getting through the Semis! ooooo only a day to go!
The the the A   Sat May 20, 2006 1:50 pm GMT
Russia will win.