guy vs who? a gentleman?

j   Fri May 19, 2006 6:40 pm GMT
What we should call a male whom we're talking about as a third person? (in America). I feel sounded polite while talking about a female and calling her "lady", as :Have you just seen a lady I've been with? She is my friend's mother; or She is our manager". But how to call a male person, if he is definitely not "a guy"? A gentleman? I'm not completely sure I hear this particular word around me a lot...
Lazar   Fri May 19, 2006 7:29 pm GMT
Using "gentleman" in that context would sound very stilted and formal. If you don't want to go as informal as "guy", then you could just say "man". I think "man" and "woman" would be the basic, general-purpose, formality-neutral terms for a context like that.
j   Fri May 19, 2006 7:58 pm GMT
2Lazar:
I don't know about "guy" (it's why I'm asking a question), but I definitely can't agree about "woman". Even in places like Costco or Walmart people use "lady". actually in America people will very unlikely correct your mistakes with telling it to your face, so everybody's free to use whatever he (she) wants, but I KNOW for sure, "lady" sounds MUCH more appropriate than "woman" does. And for various reasons I prefer rather to be deliberately polite than not to.
Ant_222   Sat May 20, 2006 3:12 pm GMT
I'd like to correct you:
«Have you just seen THE lady I've been with?»
HTH.
Des   Sun May 21, 2006 9:17 am GMT
Gent.