Where is this guy from?

Pete   Sun May 21, 2006 12:28 am GMT
I've got here a recording of the following dialogue:

Sirius Black: [In his letter:] "Harry, I couldn't risk sending Hedwig. Since the World Cup the Ministry has been intercepting more and more owls, and she's too easily recognized. We need to talk, Harry, face to face. Meet me in the Gryffindor Common Room at one o'clock, this Saturday night. And make sure you're alone. Sirius. P.S..."
[The bird bites Harry's hand.]
Sirius Black: AH!
Sirius Black: "The bird bites."

Can you place that accent? Does it sound cool?

click this link: http://www.bestsharing.com/files/ms00152736/Siriusletter.mp3.html
Benjamin   Sun May 21, 2006 8:38 am GMT
Is it from somewhere obscure like the Falkland Islands or Saint Helena or something?
Hermione   Sun May 21, 2006 9:02 am GMT
Is this about a children's book?
Benny   Sun May 21, 2006 6:52 pm GMT
It sounds weird. Like a foreigner trying to put on a posh british accent.
Benjamin   Sun May 21, 2006 10:00 pm GMT
It seems to use a shifted vowel system, albeit a rather unusual one (unlike the more typical one found in New Zealand and South Africa).

From what I can hear, based on RP pronunciation:

risk -> resk
intercepting -> entercepting

Are there any native accents which are pin-pen merged towards pen?
Youness   Sun May 21, 2006 10:08 pm GMT
hello
HEHE !! its sound like a evil talk to my grandma ...lol
No Im kidding its sound like a british man talk or read a book I think
but I think its recorded from a TV
Pete   Mon May 22, 2006 4:12 am GMT
<<Are there any native accents which are pin-pen merged towards pen?>>

No, there aren't. I guess :P
Guest   Mon May 22, 2006 4:33 am GMT
>>It sounds weird. Like a foreigner trying to put on a posh british accent.<<

Gary Oldman plays Sirius Black in the Harry Potter movies. He's English, but probably had to learn to speak posh.
Uriel   Mon May 22, 2006 7:29 am GMT
Uh ... it's not like Gary Oldman is an obscure actor.
Liam   Mon May 22, 2006 7:50 am GMT
Gary who? He may not be obscure to some, but the name didn't ring a bell for me, which is not to say I haven't seen him in something else. Has he been in anything other than children's films?
Crane   Mon May 22, 2006 9:30 am GMT
Been living under a rock, have you? Gary Oldman has been in "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead", "Bram Stroker's Dracula" (sexy Dracula ;P ), "JFK", "Air Force One", "The Scarlet Letter", "Immortal Beloved", "The Fifth Element", "Basquiat", and more recently, "Batman Begins". He even did episodes of the TV shows "Knots Landing" and "Friends."
Crane   Mon May 22, 2006 9:46 am GMT
Oh, and "State of Grace." Can't forget that one, it's brilliant. Check out his insane asylum laugh during the "hands up" scene.
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon May 22, 2006 11:52 am GMT
Gary Oldman comes from South London and has been in a lot of films - check out:

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/artist.nsf/ArtistNames/Gary%20Oldman

One of them was "Prick Up Your Ears", in which he played the part of the gay playwright Joe Orton, who wrote mainly black comedies such as Loot, What the Butler Saw and Entertaining Mr Sloane. The title of the film "Prick Up Your Ears" which, to British people anyway, can be interpreted as meaning something else with the use of word play and double meanings. Pretty much summed up Joe Orton's life, from Leicester to London, until he had his head smashed in by his jealous partner, and Gary Oldman played the part of Joe dead brill.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/audiointerviews/profilepages/ortonj1.shtml
Gabriel   Mon May 22, 2006 12:59 pm GMT
Are you sure the voice in the recording belongs to Gary Oldman? It sounds much too young I think.
Guest   Mon May 22, 2006 7:08 pm GMT
Gary Oldman is famous for his voice work. His voice in The Fifth Element is completely different from his voice in Dracula, which is completely different from his voice in The Scarlet Letter.