Help decide over pronunciation model

Gabriel   Tue May 23, 2006 1:28 pm GMT
I'm determined to fight my hybrid accent, which sometimes impedes communication and I think becomes distracting. I want to try to modify it towards one of the accepted "standards" for foreign learners, i.e. RP or "General American". I need your help deciding whether I'm closer to the former or the latter so I can concentrate on one. In the links below I read the same text with my attempt at each of those. Could you please tell me in which I sound better/more realistic?

http://media.putfile.com/RP-version
http://media.putfile.com/GenAm-sample

Thanks to all.
MaintiensLeDroit   Tue May 23, 2006 4:52 pm GMT
I think the RP version sounds better. It doesn't seem as if you are forcing your voice quite as much and it is much clearer.
Jim   Wed May 24, 2006 6:50 am GMT
"... the accepted 'standards' for foreign learners ..." accepted by whom? The mistaken notion of standard accents is falling by the wayside & rightly so. Sorry I can't listen to your recording here but why not give a sample of your "hybrid" which you are trying to fight.
Gabriel   Thu May 25, 2006 1:28 am GMT
Jim: Linguistically, you're absolutely right. Nobody is to say that General American, whatever that is, is superior to Dublin English or anything of the sort. But it is a fact that people are learning English who were not born into any native accent. Those foreign learners need to aim for something, and the two models which have been described most often and for which there are plenty of resources happen to be RP and GA.
Cheers
Ed   Thu May 25, 2006 2:14 am GMT
I'd say your RP version sounds much closer to RP than your GA sounds to GA. I'm an RP speaker myself, so I'd expect to pick up on any errors in the RP version better than GA errors, as I'm less familiar with GA. I'd say aim for RP, as you're pretty close to it.

What is your accent out of curiosity? Do I detect Irish in it?
Jim   Thu May 25, 2006 5:59 am GMT
Gabriel,

What you write is not untrue but consider the greatest resource a student will ever find. This, of course, will be native speakers especially their teachers. There are very many ESL teachers out there who don't speak RP or GA.

It's funny, though, that many students think in terms of aiming at accent ex, wye or zed. It's a bit like a novice golfer's aiming for a hole-in-one. The majority of the students need only worry whether they're on the fairway.

I'd recommend students aim for a clear native-like accent. If they end up sounding a little on the Irish side, the Texan side, the Newfie side or even the Kiwi side ... so be it. As long as they end up on the green and not in a bunker.
Jim   Thu May 25, 2006 6:01 am GMT
... The differences between English accents are not so great when you consider that they're coming from a whole different language.
Gabriel   Thu May 25, 2006 4:55 pm GMT
To Ed:
I'm a non-native speaker. My formal instruction in English was mostly RP, but influenced by many people from different places. It's funny that you should mention you detect Irish in it, I've never been to Ireland but I'd just watched "Veronica Guerin" an hour or so before my recording! I think it illustrates the point I was trying to make when I said my accent was a hybrid. It's weird and it tends to change.
To Jim:
Perhaps if you expand on what you mean by "on the green and not in a bunker" you'll realize that by "standards", I never tried to imply that it was less desirable for me to end up sounding like a Kiwi than like Brian Sewell. I meant to say that a non-native with an accent that clearly approaches a New Zealand native accent is much more readily understood by any native speaker than one whose accent is peppered with mixtures that you'd never find combined in a native speaker. There's experimental evidence for this, I'll have to look up the reference, but it's been shown that changes in accent demand constant accomodation on the part of the listener.
Cheers.
Jim   Thu May 25, 2006 6:23 pm GMT
No, Gabriel, I didn't think that's what you meant. I guess you're right an accent which is a bit of everything could end up throwing a native ... listener off. That stands to reason.