Ferrer, English or Spanish?

Ping Pong   Wed May 24, 2006 3:39 am GMT
Ferrer is a Spanish last name. How do you pronounce it in English or Spanish?

Some guys say ('fur-uh) in British English or (feh-'ReR) in Spanish.
Lazar   Wed May 24, 2006 4:07 am GMT
In Spanish, "Ferrer" would be [fe"re4].

In English, I'd pronounce it as [f@"r\E@`].
Ping Pong   Wed May 24, 2006 4:57 am GMT
I don't understand your weird symbols of sounds, sir.

Use understandable pronunciation in syllables. Don't give me IPA.

I'm interested in learning, not playing.
Lazar   Wed May 24, 2006 5:08 am GMT
<<Use understandable pronunciation in syllables.>>

I just did. IPA and X-SAMPA really aren't that difficult to learn. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-SAMPA )

<<I'm interested in learning, not playing.>>

Yes, be proud of your ignorance. ;-) I too am interested in learning, not playing. And if you want to do any serious learning about how languages are pronounced, it is imperative that you learn some objective phonetic script. Ambiguities between languages and between dialects render simplistic "faux-netic" respellings completely inadequate.
Guest   Wed May 24, 2006 5:26 am GMT
>>I don't understand your weird symbols of sounds, sir.

Use understandable pronunciation in syllables. Don't give me IPA.<<

Okie dokie, I pronounce it "fe-rrer". Understandable enough?
Pinga Pongo   Wed May 24, 2006 6:33 am GMT
Uncomprehensive manners to express from Guest don't get me upset. Nerds don't care about phonetic symbols because they don't worry if someone else doesn't pronounce the same way like them. By the way, I do understand dictionaries and I use them constantly when I unknow meanings. Indeed, it helps me learn much better.

An Ignorant person as you call me, in this case you are that one.

Understandable enough?

Not yet! You're also hallucinating IPA and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-SAMPA like those who bother to contradict in this website. I'm not one of them.
Lazar   Wed May 24, 2006 6:39 am GMT
<<An Ignorant person as you call me, in this case you are that one.>>

You weren't content to just say that you didn't want responses in IPA or X-SAMPA, but you went on to insult people who do care about legitimate phonological learning by saying that they were only interested in "playing". That, my friend, falls firmly into the category of aggressive and willful ignorance.
Pinga Pongo   Wed May 24, 2006 6:50 am GMT
Guess what, I'm not angry but disagreed with nonsense of people who think they know phonology when really they don't. By job isn't this but I enjoy to ask here how they pronounce words. Not because I learn from you but for knowing to learn to play among you, foreign learners of English like me.
Lazar   Wed May 24, 2006 6:54 am GMT
I'm not going to waste my time arguing here anymore.
Travis   Wed May 24, 2006 6:59 am GMT
>>Ferrer is a Spanish last name. How do you pronounce it in English or Spanish?<<

For the record, I myself pronounce the last name "Ferrer" in English as ["fe:RR=].

>>Guess what, I'm not angry but disagreed with nonsense of people who think they know phonology when really they don't.<<

Here we are simply using notation such as IPA and X-SAMPA for simply providing an accurate representation of the actual pronunciation of words, which trying to "phonetically" write words with English orthography cannot provide in practice. How does this constitute "the nonsense of people who think they know phonology when they really don't" exactly? And just where did you get the "people who think they know phonology when they really don't" part from anyways?

>>Not because I learn from you but for knowing to learn to play among you, foreign learners of English like me.<<

Not everyone here is a non-native learner of English. I, for one, am a native speaker of English interested in English phonology and dialect variation in particular, besides linguistics in general.
Uriel   Wed May 24, 2006 10:29 am GMT
I've always heard it said as "Fer-AIR". As in actors Jose and Miguel Ferrer.
Tirant   Wed May 24, 2006 2:42 pm GMT
Excuse me, Ping Pong, bit Ferrer is a catalan name, not spanish. The correspondong in spanish, that also exists, is Herrero. In english, Blacksmith.
Tirant   Wed May 24, 2006 2:43 pm GMT
Excuse me again: "corresponding" and "but".
Pete   Wed May 24, 2006 3:06 pm GMT
Is 'Ferrer' French too? Or I don't know, there was a footballer playing for Chelsea whose name was Ferrer, where was he from by the way?

<<Excuse me, Ping Pong, bit Ferrer is a catalan name, not spanish. The correspondong in spanish, that also exists, is Herrero. In english, Blacksmith.>>

Yeah that's true, and the Portuguese version is 'Ferreiro' or more commonly found 'Ferreira'

<<Uncomprehensive manners to express from Guest don't get me upset. Nerds don't care about phonetic symbols because they don't worry if someone else doesn't pronounce the same way like them. By the way, I do understand dictionaries and I use them constantly when I unknow meanings. Indeed, it helps me learn much better.

An Ignorant person as you call me, in this case you are that one.>>

Bloody hell, man... All that is the sheerest nonsense I have ever heard. How do you expect to learn English, or any language, properly if you don't learn the basics of Phonetics and Phonemic transcriptions?? There are no ignorant nerds here but you.

This quite reminds me when I made a post saying that Cockney sounds like American. But in the end, thanks to all those explanations and phonetic examples those guys made for me, I came to understand. You are just a terrifying combination of arrogance and ignorance...

Pete
Nun Es   Wed May 24, 2006 3:15 pm GMT
It could be french, like "Férré", Ferret, ferrera, ferrero