Don't say tenks or thenks but thanks.

You Americans   Wed May 24, 2006 3:48 am GMT
I've heard to much that guys say thenks as the short e sound in Thames.

LEARN TO SAY 'EH-AH AS FAST AS YOU CAN IN THAT!
Lazar   Wed May 24, 2006 4:02 am GMT
Americans would say "thanks" either with a more traditional [{] or with a raised [e(I)], but I've never heard of anyone using [E] in that word.
You Americans   Wed May 24, 2006 5:03 am GMT
But I have heard them say it so. It's wrong.
Kirk   Wed May 24, 2006 5:06 am GMT
<<I've heard to much that guys say thenks as the short e sound in Thames.

LEARN TO SAY 'EH-AH AS FAST AS YOU CAN IN THAT!>>

Haha! Cute.

<<Americans would say "thanks" either with a more traditional [{] or with a raised [e(I)], but I've never heard of anyone using [E] in that word.>>

Yeah I don't rhyme "Thames" (which rhymes with "hems") with "thanks." For me the vowel in "thanks" and "tanks" is the same as the one in "takes." My pronunciation:

"takes" [t_heks]
"tanks" [t_heNks]
"thanks" [TeNks]
"tans" [t_h{nz]
"Thames" [t_hEmz]
"hems" [hEmz]

At least here in California nearly everyone has the same vowel in "take" and "tank." Many (such as myself) also have the same vowel in "lake" and "length" and "sink" and "see."

"lake" [lek]
"length" [leNkT]
"lent" [lEnt]

"sink" [siNk]
"seen" [sin]
"sin" [sIn]
Americanus Latinus   Wed May 24, 2006 6:43 am GMT
Excuse me for this.

You church or kirk don't know anything about English pronunciation.

Is it bad in Poland?

In fact, you're misleading your phonics, and less indicated you are to teach this issue.
"takes" [t_heks] does not rhyme with "tanks" [t_heNks], because "takes" is [teiks] and "tanks" is [taNks]. Loser!!! Hah, Hah, Hah
Jenna   Wed May 24, 2006 7:13 am GMT
Must admit I'm surprised that the same vowel is used anywhere in take and tank. In layman's terms, does that make tank sound as though it were spelt "taynk"?

As for "saying eh-ah", I don't discern a diphthong in "thanks", just, ideally, a straight short A, as in cat, but the N makes that very difficult, so the A becomes close to, but not quite, a short E, for most people worldwide, I'd have thought, although no doubt some are convinced otherwise.
D6244OE   Wed May 24, 2006 7:17 am GMT
"But I have heard them say it so. It's wrong."

Says who?
Lazar   Wed May 24, 2006 7:21 am GMT
<<Must admit I'm surprised that the same vowel is used anywhere in take and tank.>>

It's actually quite common (maybe even predominant) in American English - I do it myself.

<<In layman's terms, does that make tank sound as though it were spelt "taynk"?>>

Precisely.
Kirk   Wed May 24, 2006 9:06 am GMT
<<Must admit I'm surprised that the same vowel is used anywhere in take and tank. In layman's terms, does that make tank sound as though it were spelt "taynk"? >>

Yes, if confronted with the pseudo-spelling "taynk" I would pronounce it exactly as I would "tank" (again, with the same vowel as "take"). This bound-morpheme /{N/ -> [e(I)N] raising is very common in North American English tho not all people do it. However it is the norm in many places.

I also have bound-morpheme /EN/ and /IN/ raising, which are somewhat less common in North America but continue along on the same pattern. Thus, since I have /EN/ -> [eN] raising that means that if there were a significant class of contrastive /{N/ and /EN/ words I'd have that merger as they both go to [eN]. The only ones I can think of right now are near-minimal pairs such as "lanky-lengthy" (["leNki] and ["leNkTi] respectively) or "bangle-bagel" (["be:g5=] and ["be:Ng5=] respectively).
Kirk   Wed May 24, 2006 9:08 am GMT
<<Must admit I'm surprised that the same vowel is used anywhere in take and tank. In layman's terms, does that make tank sound as though it were spelt "taynk"? >>

Yes, if confronted with the pseudo-spelling "taynk" I would pronounce it exactly as I would "tank" (again, with the same vowel as "take"). This bound-morpheme /{N/ -> [e(I)N] raising is very common in North American English tho not all people do it. However it is the norm in many places.

I also have bound-morpheme /EN/ and /IN/ raising, which are somewhat less common in North America but continue along on the same pattern. Thus, since I have /EN/ -> [eN] raising that means that if there were a significant class of contrastive /{N/ and /EN/ words I'd have that merger as they both go to [eN]. The only ones I can think of right now are near-minimal pairs such as "lanky-lengthy" (["leNki] and ["leNkTi] respectively) or "strength-strang" ([str\eNkT] and [str\eN] respectively).
Kirk   Wed May 24, 2006 9:10 am GMT
Sorry for the double post but disregard the first. The last example was a bad one (even tho it was accurate it wasn't the environment I was referring to) so look at the second post.
Pete   Wed May 24, 2006 2:40 pm GMT
<<Yeah I don't rhyme "Thames" (which rhymes with "hems") with "thanks." For me the vowel in "thanks" and "tanks" is the same as the one in "takes." My pronunciation:

"takes" [t_heks]
"tanks" [t_heNks]
"thanks" [TeNks]
"tans" [t_h{nz]
"Thames" [t_hEmz]
"hems" [hEmz]

At least here in California nearly everyone has the same vowel in "take" and "tank." Many (such as myself) also have the same vowel in "lake" and "length" and "sink" and "see.">>

The vowel of 'lake' is like 'thanks' and 'tank' , 'lenght' , 'sink' , 'see'???

Blimey, I could never imagine this, even in my most unreal dreams? This demonstrates that those people thinking 'American English' to be phonemically easier than British dialects are completly wrong. I'll remember this.

Very interesting, I guess 99.9 of non-native speakers (like me) don't know of this...

Pete
Pete   Wed May 24, 2006 2:42 pm GMT
<<...I guess 99.9 of non-native...>>

I meant: ...I guess 99.9% of non-native...
Kirk   Wed May 24, 2006 6:45 pm GMT
<<The vowel of 'lake' is like 'thanks' and 'tank' , 'lenght' , 'sink' , 'see'??? >>

Close. For me the vowel in "lake" is the same as in "thanks" "tank" and "length" but not "sink" and "see."

For me (but not for all by any means--this is less common than "thank"-raising) "sink" and "see" share their own same vowel [i] which contrasts with my [I] in, say, "sin" and "sit."

<<Blimey, I could never imagine this, even in my most unreal dreams? This demonstrates that those people thinking 'American English' to be phonemically easier than British dialects are completly wrong. I'll remember this. >>

North American English has gone thru a not insignificant amount of vowel changes and several of those involve raising. To avoid confusion I won't mention other instances of raising but for this environment the rule is that within the same morpheme historical or underliyng front vowels followed by /N/ raise to a higher position. This explains why my "thank" and "tank" are raised (due to raising due to /N/) to the same vowel in "lake" while "than" and "tan" do not have the same vowel as "lake" (but the one in "cat"). So, take a look again at some examples from my speech:

"rat" [r\{t]
"ran" [r\{n]
"rank" [r\eNk]

"bat" [b{t]
"ban" [b{n]
"bank" [beNk]

"sit" [sIt]
"sin" [sIn]
"sink" [siNk]

"let" [lEt]
"lens" [lEn(d)z]
"length" ["leNkT]
Robertus   Wed May 24, 2006 8:21 pm GMT
As in the dictionary

Short Vowels are:

"a" as in "car". /kär/
"e" as in "pet". /pet/
"e" as in "bee, peace". /bē, pēs/
"o" as in "fork, caught, or thought". /fôrk, kôt, thôt/
"oo" as in "fool, rude, Jew". /fu:l, ru:d, ju:/

------------------------------------

Long Vowels, diphthongs, or Triphthongs are:

Quick "a" as in "cat". /kăt/
"a" as in "cake, pain, day". /kāk, pān, dā/
Quick "i" as in "pig, busy". /pĭg, bĭzē or bĭzĭ/
"i" as in "light, bite, sky". /līt, bīt, skī/
Quick "o" as in "dog". /dŏg/
"o" as in "boat, so". /bōt, sō/
Quick "u" as in "duck, rough". /dŭk, rŭf/
"u" as in "new, cute". /nū, kūt/
Quick oo as in "hook, wolf". /huk, wulf/

So eh-ah in cat makes a sound long in a fast or short sound.