Thanks a million guys

ravi   Thu May 25, 2006 8:07 am GMT
i would like to thank all the guys who helped get better at english.i can only remember a few names guest,ryan,presley,mxsmanic,uriel,boy.i want to thank all these guys and also those guys who are doing the good work of helping people like me in mastering english.i would especially like to thank guest,msxmanic,ryan and presley as they have really been instrumental in helping me.they put my mind to rest(i hope that sentence is right).
anyway all you guys who got help on this site,go on say thank you to all these guys for the good job they are doing.make them know we appreciate what they are doing.
make this topic stay at the top of the list for atleast a week.post you thank you's under this topic.
just take a minute from a your busy lives and just type thank you.
ravi   Thu May 25, 2006 8:10 am GMT
corrections <<who helped me get better>>
and << post your thank you's >>
Guest   Thu May 25, 2006 9:14 am GMT
Good post. I agree with you. It is a such a cool website. It is almost an addiction for me I can't live without it without spending 10 minutes a day. Interesting banter, extreme views, and you'll get a blend of everything. On top of that, user friendly interface and registeration process. Keep posting if you have any questions regarding learning English. Learning a language is simply a matter of perseverance to learn it and use it with confidence.
Uriel   Thu May 25, 2006 9:28 am GMT
Glad we're (occasionally) of help!
ravi   Thu May 25, 2006 9:35 am GMT
hey guest,
im glad you are the first person to post a message under this topic.your advise is a bomb,im cruising now.i would like to ask you where you are from and what you do ?,but i guess you like to remain anonymous(like batman) and so the name guest.well thats ok but really on a serious note,thanks a million guest.
iam not saying i speak very fluently now ,it may take more time than i expected.i still may have to deal with my fears and practise more or get some new techniques to get better output but your advise is going to make it easy for me from now on,mentally.you changed my mental attitude about speaking english.
i hope you can surprise me again by giving me a good advise again which may help me in speaking english.
Guest   Thu May 25, 2006 10:43 am GMT
ravi

Have you heard this adage before? If you don't respect yourself then nobody will respect you. So don't beat yourself up all the time. Atleast you are better than those native speakers of English who don't know any other foreign language and only belonged to a monolingual catagory. Have faith in your abilities and with enough practice and inputs you'll gradually better at expressing yourself. People should enjoy doing things in the language rather than being bogged down by obstacles. Like my teacher says "Failure is a temporary thing but give up is a permanent thing." So if you give up right now in your quest of improving your fluency then you lose the battle and you'll be considered a loser. So take heart from this postive quote of my teacher.

Yes, I want to be unknown to the majority of forum as I am a lazy creature who can't type in his/her name.
ravi   Thu May 25, 2006 11:14 am GMT
hey guest,
what can i say,you are really amazing.you are something.how did you get to be like this,some secret philosopht you may have to live life.i like it,it makes a lot of sense and it is helpful.
now i realise what i lacked,not practise or input which i still need.i lacked a personal philosophy to help me throught this,instead of enjoying it,i was killing myself.
thank you
muchos gracias(i get this feeling,you maybe spanish)
ravi   Thu May 25, 2006 11:16 am GMT
correction
<<philosophyt--philosophy>>
<<throught--through>>
Guest   Thu May 25, 2006 1:03 pm GMT
ravi

I have witnessed many personal tradegies in my life at a young age that I feel that our world is not a bed of roses (where everything we face is nice and problemless). Nope. Nobody's life is like that. Everyone has to go through good and hard times and this is what life is all about. Only those people survive in this world who don't give up easily. If you set a goal, let's say, to accomplish native-like fluency, then you have to mould yourself in the same way that you can accomplish it. To watch a lot of American movies and sitcoms, to talk to yourself all the time and to start doing crazy things in the language. Over a period of time, you'll see a clear difference in your fluency skills. To give up before starting is as good as not starting at all. In a nutshell, you need to bring a permananet change in your personality in order to overcome a hurdle of speaking less fluently. I am not a philosopher, but these are my thoughts that are garnerd from my real life experiences. Ravi, your position of improving your speaking skills is a lot better (as you handle calls from native speakers) than me as I am a loner, reticent who doesn't have an opportunity to interact with native speakers. Still, I am not giving up. Atleast I can share my thoughts in a written form if not spoken. I am enjoying the experience of communicating with people in my learning language. I am just like you, a learner, somewhere from an underdeveloped country. Though my perception and thinking can be different towards issues that many learners are grappling with.
satan   Thu May 25, 2006 11:31 pm GMT
your welcome.
ravi   Fri May 26, 2006 7:42 am GMT
hey guest,
maybe guys like us who have been through a lot are the only ones who try hard because we know things are not easy in life.my life has not been rosy either.it has been a fight all the way to this point.until now the conflict was directed outwards but now its directed inwards,maybe we should not think of ourselves as victims.
the people around me have been abroad and are from rich backgrounds and fancy schools,so they got everything easy.i on the other hand have to hustle just to keep up and when will i surpass them and excel.i know my problem is completely psychological and i have these words in my head but i cant bring them out fluently and with right pronunciation and intonation etc.something is stopping me,the fear of making mistakes or sounding bad etc etc,all a bunch of crap.
i have been looking for answers all my life for my problems and i found it in the way of a personal philosophy,it works but you seem way ahead of me and you are in a position to help me but i think i can also contribute and if you need help of any kind ,just ask,ill be glad to help and i really do appreciate your help.
hey guest,
no one is a loner,you have overcome a lot in your life and i think you can also master the art of interpersonal relationship and make friends.
hey what do you think of my writing,is it good ?.
i had to real try hard to get a job in call center so that i could speak english all the time,otherwise i could not have improved.
ravi   Fri May 26, 2006 7:45 am GMT
you say you are trying your best to be fluent and this is what i think,its from a book,"if you want something badly the whole universe will conspire to help you get it"
so you will get it.
abc   Sat May 27, 2006 12:18 am GMT
The only identified person that's been helping me a lot and that I could think of off the top of my head right now is Uriel. So thank you Uriel.
dds   Sat May 27, 2006 1:10 am GMT
ravi, is that from the alchemist?
Guest   Sat May 27, 2006 6:46 am GMT
ravi, your English is superb so I don't think speaking the language is the problem. It is just a matter of speaking the language comfortably.