Do the Americans speak English better than the British?

Tiffany   Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:53 pm GMT
That happens across the pond too. It's definitely not confined to British English.
Aquatar   Thu Aug 03, 2006 8:17 pm GMT
<<I generally think of "whom" as being used more by Brits, actually. You don't hear it much here, unless people are trying to be very formal.>>

I suppose I was just going on what I hear in American films and TV shows. I sometimes notice it is used, whereas I hardly ever notice it being used in British productions. Maybe American scriptwriters are just more likely to incorporate it then :-)
Uriel   Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:29 am GMT
Maybe. You certainly won't hear it in everyday speech.
Awols   Fri Aug 04, 2006 11:23 am GMT
You guys spend time arguing your ears off about which speak better English, America or Britain. But what you don't know is you can't for the life of Riley answer that correctly. You'd better give all attempts up and depend on those English-speaking countries who aspires to learn and become proficient as countries who have already established where English is concerned, like the likes of Britain, Australia, America, Canada etc. I'm a Nigerian. I have read both Ameriacn and Britsh novel. I have listen to FOX News and BBC News. I have spoken to both people from the both sides of the pond, Atlantic Ocean. I love English and as you will find out my accent is so Mid-Atlantic and originally so. I guess I am a native speaker to some extent, but it all depends on how you lot look at me. I think I can tell you which speak better English: the Americans or the Brits. Neither of them outdo the other. Language can well be managed by both very efficiently, especially when they are highly knowledgeable as a result of good education. However, sometinmes you hear innovative English from the lips of the less eduacted of them. An American once said by way of describing some Union Members:'They're goons. They have a criminal record as long as my arm!'. The expression 'as long as my arm' had my swooning for him. I loved it. British English has one major appeal that is scarce in American English. ThE Brits write better. You just need to read extracts from the BBC AND COMPARE IT WITH Carlif Times'.
Tiffany   Fri Aug 04, 2006 5:15 pm GMT
Forgive me, but what are the Carlif Times? The BBC is a well-respected British television channel. You might do well to compare it to something of equal stature in the US and that certainly would not be the "Carlif Times"
Guest   Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:28 am GMT
Probably Cardiff Times. Anyway, Cardiff is in Wales, in the UK.
Tiffany   Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:12 am GMT
Thanks for letting me know. Where is the "Cardiff Times" based? A blind guess for Wales.

Assuming the base is Wales, I don't understand why you would compare a Welsh source with a British source to prove that the British write better than the Americans.
Guest   Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:49 am GMT
Just to confuse you :)
greg   Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:13 am GMT
Awols : « I have listen to FOX News (...) ».

Aïe aïe aïe ! Et alors ? T'as aimé ?
Awols   Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:57 am GMT
Autant que RFI.
Awols   Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:33 am GMT
Excuse me. I made mention of Carlif Time. I never meant Cardiff Time. Besides, I compared it to The BBC( above ), but Tiffany's saying that I ' might do well to compare it to something of equal stature in the US and that certainly would not be the "Carlif Times" '.
Notwithstanding, the Carlif Times is the name of a Carlifornia Newspaper also recogniized as 'The Carlifaornis Times'. BBC IS NOT ONLY A TV CHANNEL. I read ITS magazine 'BBC AFRICA' in my country. I also can access it on line. The way its news reads is differrent to the way Carlif Times reads. You'd think BBC's English is actually QUEENS. However, Americans speak better than the Brits,especially those Brits who are not academically inclined in Literature. I think I know why the American generally outdo the Brits in speech and would you care if I tell you why?
Nightingale   Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:41 pm GMT
Awols,

Unfortunately...
1. The "Carlif Times" does not exist.
2. The "Carlifaornis Times" does not exist either.

Even if these were to be spelt correctly, since the American state is spelt "CAlifornia" and not "CARlifornia"...
1. The "Calif Times" does not exist.
2. The "California Times" (or "Californis Times", whatever that means) does not exist either.

Please give the name of a newspaper, publication, or agency that actually EXISTS.
Hiroki   Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:38 am GMT
Which accent does Ethan Hawk speak English with? To me, his English sounds southern one in the U.S..
Travis   Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:47 am GMT
Please note, Awols, that "Nightingale" is clearly a troll and should thusly be ignored.
Travis   Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:49 am GMT
Actually, from reading some other posts, I revise my previous post; this Nightingale may not actually be a troll, but picking apart other people's posts and claiming that what they say is completely invalid just due to orthographic mistakes is clearly troll-like behavior, which is why I dismissed Nightingale as a troll from this particular post alone.