Do the Americans speak English better than the British?

Uriel   Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:19 am GMT
Nobody bases their accents on movies. Nor are most actors in California movies actually from California.
Guest   Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:45 pm GMT
>> Nobody bases their accents on movies. <<

I do. It's fun :)
Guest   Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:42 am GMT
"Do the Americans speak English better than the British?"

This has to be a joke.
Guest   Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:12 pm GMT
I am french and i prefer the american accent. They are coller than the english people and of course we can notice that on their language. Since USA has itsindependance, they don't have to use the englsih grammar rules like the brits.

USA is much better than England. Adam won't say i am true, but he is jealous, so we don't really care.
Gerg   Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:59 am GMT
Interesting that a French person should say that, as my favourite accent for a non-French person speaking French would have to be that of Americans also.

Just as with English, the rules do not intrude at all noticeably, thus making American French incredibly cool.

As a result, USA is much better than France, as I am sure you will agree.
Antoine   Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:14 am GMT
"Interesting that a French person should say that, as my favourite accent for a non-French person speaking French would have to be that of Americans also. "

Why? the french don't hate the USA. Maybe the newspapers says it in USA. A majority of the french people do not like the US politic, it does not mean they don't like the country or the people.

"As a result, USA is much better than France, as I am sure you will agree."

In some parts yes, and to be honnest USA are much better (sciences are a good example), in some other parts, i prefer the France (socially).

That is intersting to notice that the British/Americans aks themselves: who speak the best English. I have notticed observed that between Spanish, portuguese/South AMerica, or France/Quebec.
Antoine   Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:39 am GMT
"That is intersting to notice that the British/Americans aks themselves: who speak the best English. I have notticed observed that between Spanish, portuguese/South AMerica, or France/Quebec."

Sorry, you should read: I have NEVER observed that between Spanish, portuguese/South AMerica, or France/Quebec.
Antoine   Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:18 am GMT
Gerg

"Just as with English, the rules do not intrude at all noticeably, thus making American French incredibly cool. "

Sorry, i did not realized you spoke about the accents. I agree the Quebec accent is cooler than any french one. i really love the accent of the quebeckers.
Ed   Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:23 pm GMT
We might as well ask whether an apple is better than a pear.
antoine   Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:55 pm GMT
I prefer the pear.
Ravi   Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:13 am GMT
who speaks better english ?.i think both americans and british do but in their own way.some like the accent some may not.i have been listening to americans and english for a long time now.there have been americans who were pathetic and the same is true about some british.i think its because some people have very limited vocabulary and they learn to express their thoughts with the words they know.the accent comes easily to them because they grow up speaking the language,on the other hand people of both countries,some very well educated people blew me away with their language.their accent can be understood by anyone.
scots and irish are the hardest to understand but it does'nt mean that they suck aty speaking english.
all iam trying to say is this is an endless debate.the ability of speaking english fluently depends on the person and not the country he lives in.you should hear me speak,iam an indian and i think i can surprise anyone with my english(not in a bad way though).i think i speak very well.
Youness   Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:35 pm GMT
I prefer the british english. its like a dream I want to get it
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:01 pm GMT
Youness......you should specify which of the British Englishes you prefer....some are dreamlike, some are nightmares. They come in varying degrees of aesthetic quality, if I can use that word to describe an accent - probably not, as it's not a visual appreciation :-) Who knows - you may go into raptures over Glaswegian for all I know.

For people in the UK generally, based on a public opinion poll, the most popular accents overall here which involve business communication, either face to face or over the telephone or the media, are:

Scottish (I would guess that excludes Glasgow but the report did
not specifically say that)
London RP (NOT Cockney)
Home Counties
South Midlands
Irish

Most unpopular:

Scouse (Liverpool/Merseyside)
Birmingham /Black Country
Geordie (Newcastle and North East England)

I would add Glasgow to that but as I say, the report did not mention Glasgow. As an Edinburgh lad with an Edinburgh accent I would say that, wouldn't I? :-)

Actually, I quite like the Geordie accent...we are quite used to hearing it here in Edinburgh....day trips up to us here are very popular with Geordies as it's just 106 miles from Newcastle to Edinburgh. And when I was down in Newcastle for a uni interview in 2000 I found it cool to listen to Geordies on their own territory. I must have looked a wee bit lost one day on the main councourse of this metro station in the centre of Newcastle when this dreamy vision of a copper came and asked me if I wanted help. I didn't take much notice of what he was saying....just how he said it..... :-)
karley   Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:28 pm GMT
>who speaks better english<
Im english, and i come from an area were the accent is very thick, yet i sound nothing like that.
who ever i talk to, always ask me if im american!
iv grown up watching american t.v shows and films, and i was wondering if this has influanced my language
Damian in Edinburgh   Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:35 pm GMT
Karley - do you not have a caps lock on your keyboard?