Will English die out?

Damian   Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:23 pm GMT
Does that mean we can choose the ADAM with the least aggro appeal? Which is the pretty one?
Adam   Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:44 am GMT
"HYTHLODAY = ADAM***"

Erm......no, I'm afraid not.
Adam   Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:46 am GMT
"English used for buziness is more american, that's a fact. USA got the power, not UK. "

Go to China, where there are more people learning British English than there are citizens of the USA.

UK has more power than France, that's why more people learn British English than French.
Adam   Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:53 am GMT
"Which is the pretty one? "

There's only one Adam on here, which makes me the "prettiest" one.
doubt   Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:12 pm GMT
I am not sure, i thought you were fat when i saw your picture.
Winston   Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:04 am GMT
There is NO CHANCE of a seperation of British English from American English if this current state of affairs continues. At least, the British will continue to understand American English through television, film, literature, internet, and just a general domination of the language. Whilst most English language learners learn American English, many, like the Indians learn a more British dialogue. This has not encountered many problems and should help bind the language together.

The only difficulty is the failure inside America to understand foreign forms of English. Despite a British prescence on American TV many Americans have difficulty understanding British vocabulary ("He's put Dipiers in the Trash" or "He's put Nappies in the bin", the latter I find many Americans don't understand). Shows like Fawlty Towers (with very clear language) requres subtitles. All a far cry from the days of Katharine Hepburn and Grace Kelly pronouncing the word "Can't" as "carnt" like the British.

A sign of encouragement however, is the success of the Office in the USA, both culturally and linguistically, although it was remade so it could be tailored for American audiences. Admitedly most British people encounter considerable difficulty understanding all their own dialects.
Uriel   Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:27 am GMT
And what IS so great about this "Office" show? I've never seen either version, nor do I know anyone who has.
Travis   Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:29 am GMT
Winston, one thing you must remember though is that familiarity with other dialects does not necessarily bring one's own native dialect closer to them. It has been demonstrated that, across the board, English dialects have been diverging, not converging, even though some localized groups of them may happen to converge in cases, despite what people have said about the media preventing such. This is specifically because that while the media has familiarized has often familiarized people with other dialects, it has not actually brought dialects closer to each other. Hence, while the media may make British people more familiar with North American English dialects, it will not actually bring English English and North American English dialects any closer together or prevent their divergence.
whore   Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:43 pm GMT
inglish will die out, fuckers
Damian   Tue Sep 06, 2005 3:05 pm GMT
Do you have any idea how soon Inglish (sic) will die out? I'd address you by name but I'm a wee bit shy.... my Catholic upbringing.

Let us have some idea anyway....give me time to start learning a new lingo before Inglish (sic) snuffs it completely.....it would be crap if I don't manage it in time....I'd be left speechless.
Adam   Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:12 pm GMT
"I am not sure, i thought you were fat when i saw your picture. "

Get some glasses, then.

You can get them free on the NHS.
Lazar   Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:06 pm GMT
<<Shows like Fawlty Towers (with very clear language) requres subtitles.>>

What.

The Fuck.

I have watched Fawlty Towers for many years on many different TV channels, and I have *never* seen it (or any other English show, for that matter) with subtitles.

Where do people get this idiotic notion that English TV shows are all subtitled over here?
Damian in Dun Eidann   Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:35 pm GMT
I'd like to bet that "Tinsel Town" had to be subtitled for the benefit of people down in the South of England....... filmed entirely in Glesca (Glasgow to all of you guys) ....all about the wild anything-goes no holds barred kiss and shag anything that moves breathes and has a pulse life in Glaswegian clubland.
Uriel   Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:23 am GMT
I've never seen a British TV show subtitled in the US. I agree, Lazar; that's a load of crap.
Gjones2   Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:38 am GMT
Fawlty Towers is one of my favorites. I've never seen it with subtitles and never had trouble understanding it. The only British show that I recall ever giving me much trouble is Hamish Macbeth (set in Lochdubh in the Scottish Highlands). I can understand nearly all of it, but I definitely have to concentrate on the language.

I've found that turning up the volume helps a little with any kind of British show. We're used to understanding speech without hearing all the sounds clearly, but with a different dialect hearing more of them is important.