some English Questions

Sam   Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:53 am GMT
Hello !
Some questions for the altruist willing to help me.

1)
seals,-fantastically bendy body, swivelling and twisting in every imaginable direction.

what exactly is to twist, and what exactly is to swivel? I looked these words up in the dictionnary, but I didn't really recognize the difference between these two words.

2)Are you sure you will be right till then?

What's the difference between tell and until? It just seems that I can use until in every situation I found till.

3) Just a stranger that grinned at him in a little circle of wet slushy melted snow.
What's a slushy snow?

Thanks!
The Swede   Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:28 pm GMT
When the snow is gray and when stamp on it, it will splash then you know that the snow is slushy.
beverly   Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:16 pm GMT
twisting:

When shoulders are turned to the right at the same time as hips are turned to the left, the body is being twisted.
(There is a dance with such motions called the Twist.)

Two acts come to mind when I think of removing water from a small towel: squeezing and twisting. The larger the towel, the more effective twisting becomes.

swiveling:

A chair seat moves around while the chair legs remain stationary, allowing the occupant to move without getting out of the chair.

The difference is that swiveling is thought of as involving interdependent mechanical parts (I think I'm using the right engineering words), while twisting is thought of as involving one unit.
However, in English we do speak of twisting a top off of a jar (top and jar are two parts); that is, twisting is also thought of as screwing and unscrewing.
beverly   Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:30 pm GMT
I say 'til in a lazy fashion to mean until.
It also may be used poetically.

As the Swede said earlier, slush is the "decomposing" remains of snow. Less fully frozen, more water-and-ice mix. More ice than water. There also is an icy flavored drink that goes by the name slushy that can be consumed with a spoon or a straw. The drink does not pour; it leaks.
Sam   Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:35 pm GMT
Thanks alot !