land of the angels

Jessica   Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:41 pm GMT
is it true that England means "land of the angels"? I read it some place and it sounds really absurd.
Jav   Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:50 pm GMT
"The land of the Angles" , not "angels" the Angles were a Germanic tribe who lived in present day Denmark and migrated to Britain.
Jessica   Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:12 pm GMT
"The land of the Angles"

I thought Angles were something related to mathematics. lol.
Fredrik from Norway   Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:44 am GMT
The Angles lived in Angeln, the area between and east of the present German towns of Flensburg and Schleswig.
Jessica   Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:15 pm GMT
"The Angles lived in Angeln, the area between and east of the present German towns of Flensburg and Schleswig.

Oh! Are the angles in mathematics called up after the Angles in Germany? Were they good in maths like the Greeks?
Johnathan Mark   Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:26 pm GMT
A mathematical angle in German is Winkel. Our word for angle comes from the French.

Germany has probably contributed more to modern mathematics than all but a handful of nations, (yes, Greg, France is one of them), but the ancient Germannics made no significant contributions to mathematics as far as I know.
Johnathan Mark   Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:37 pm GMT
I would also say that even more absurd England meaning "land of the angels" (which, as we now know, it does not), is Los Angeles meaning "the angels." The city was originally founded with the name of "El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles sobre El Río Porciuncula," which means "The town of Our Lady the Queen of the Angels on the Porciuncula River."