My and Our, Amr Hlp Needed

Juan   Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:01 am GMT
I have a question about weak forms in G.A.
If you go to search for the word "MY" at M-W.com you will see two different pronunciations, one is "mai" and the other one is "m&",
I understand that the second one is the weak form, what troubles me is that I didn't know that americans pronounce this word in such a way when unstressed.

Also, if you look up "OUR" you will encounter two pronunciations: "är" and "au(-&)r".
I didn't know that the first one was common in america, and I always thought that this word was pronounced "&r" when unstressed, and if that's the case ,
why don't they show the unstressed pronunciation?,
just like they show "y&r" for YOUR".

I don't understand, help, please
Lazar   Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:29 am GMT
<< didn't know that the first one was common in america,>>

I'm an American, and I pretty much exclusively pronounce "our" as [Ar\].

<<and I always thought that this word was pronounced "&r" when unstressed, and if that's the case, why don't they show the unstressed pronunciation?,>>

I think I would always pronounce "our" as [Ar\], even in unstressed position. I think one factor preventing reduction of unstressed "our" to [@`] might be that it would lead to confusion with "her".
Kirk   Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:00 am GMT
<<I understand that the second one is the weak form, what troubles me is that I didn't know that americans pronounce this word in such a way when unstressed. >>

Some people do but not everyone. The unstressed /m@/ "muh" is relatively uncommon at least here in California. If it is used here it may be only in a jocular fashion.

<<I think I would always pronounce "our" as [Ar\], even in unstressed position. I think one factor preventing reduction of unstressed "our" to [@`] might be that it would lead to confusion with "her".>>

Yeah I don't have [@r\] for "our." It's usually [Ar\].
Lazar   Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:28 am GMT
<<Some people do but not everyone. The unstressed /m@/ "muh" is relatively uncommon at least here in California. If it is used here it may be only in a jocular fashion.>>

The same applies here in Massachusetts - I, and everybody I know, pronounce unstressed "my" as [maI]. Unstressed [m@] would be perceived as a strange or extra-regional feature here.
Juan   Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:24 am GMT
so guys, one last question, how do you pronounce OURS?
A:R or AURS.

Thanks for your help,
love this forum
Uriel   Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:13 am GMT
Unstressed and normally, it's arrs. But if I am trying to stress the word, I'll pronounce it the same way as I do "hours" -- ow-ers.
Guest   Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:05 am GMT
>>Unstressed and normally, it's arrs.<<

That's how I pronounce arse.
Uriel   Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:29 am GMT
Oops, you're right. I would actually pronounce "ours" as arrz, not arrs.