disadvantages of a person who is does not speak english well

Candy   Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:28 pm GMT
<<It doesn't make sense.>>

Yes, it does. MJD is a native English speaker. 'Said language' refers back to 'a particular language', whether English, French, or whatever. 'Be it' is another way of saying 'either' or 'whether it is...' in this context. 'What have you' means 'or whatever' (any other language)
CHINESE   Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:54 pm GMT
learn chinese

it is much better tha English and French..
Benjamin   Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:42 pm GMT
« 'Be it' is another way of saying 'either' or 'whether it is...' in this context. »

Yes. If you know French, guesto no.uno, think of it as being a bit like saying something like « soit ceci, soit cela » in French.
guesto no.uno   Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:13 pm GMT
Now, English is the internationa language of business, but I am not contesting that. What I am saying is that if a group of people, all of whom speak a particular language, were trying to conduct business with someone who was not intelligible in said language, frustration would arise, be it English, French, Chinese, or what have you.
Rolandkun   Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:08 pm GMT
The disadvantage of a person who doesn't speak English well in Asia is that, as far as I know, you would learn 25% less than those who are able to.

In U.K., the story is quite different. I was told that some jobs in scotland are only left for gaelic native speakers.
Rolandkun   Sun Jun 18, 2006 11:49 pm GMT
The disadvantage of a person who doesn't speak English well in Asia is that, as far as I know, you would "EARN" 25% less than those who are able to.

One more thing has called upon my attention. Does British English pronunciation (especially from central-north or further north to Scotland) sound "foreign" to a Native American English speaker from the perspective of “ACCENT”? An American born girl once told me that she only understood 70% of what her roommates (British) had said to her during a summer-visit in Edinburgh.
Johnathan Mark   Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:11 pm GMT
Yes, a British accent is easily identifiable as such to an American, and so it would sound foreign. However, to me, a native of the upper midwest, a British accent sounds no more strange than a deep Southern accent or other very distinct American accents.
jekkydan   Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:21 am GMT
In my opinion , english is nothing but a kind of language ,just the same with orthers all around the world. what makes it a little bit different is that a majority of nation ,esp comparatively more developed counties, speak it.
I donot think wheather you speak english or not really matters, what matters is that you should at least be up to the capability that you make yourself well and clearly understood,and you understand orthers very well wherever you are working or living .
In short ,you must be able to communicate soundly and effectively with the people around you anytime, anywhere you are.
So what could it be exept English that you should command if you work or live in an English speaking county?
Pauline   Sat Aug 26, 2006 6:35 pm GMT
I would like to ask Johnathan Mark about the comment he has written :

'You need look no further than portrayals of characters with French accents in the media to see that they can be viewed as snobs'.

I'm a native french-speaker (from Belgium). I've heard very often some nasty things about how the french accent sound in English - it's arrogant, it's gay (like homosexuals), it's very silly etc...

I was in Ireland last year. They said I spoke very nicely english and they think the french accent is pretty. So, it's the US where there are those people who find our pronunciation arrogant? Also, what they exactly find so snobbish in our english speaking, and are the americans hostile to french when they meet them?

I'm sorry for my mistakes.
Tiffany   Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:21 pm GMT
Pauline, I am an American and I do not find the French accent "snobby". A French person speaks English with a French accent because his or her native language is French. They are not doing it to be snobby, or arrogant, or gay. I think it's preposterous to judge a person's character on just an accent.

Now what I think and what the media thinks are two different matters. The media sets out to make caricatures of just about everything. Only a person who cannot think for himself would allow himself to believe without question the stereotypes the media feeds him. However, there are people like this everywhere, in every country like that, including in America. But I can't be the only person who does not believe everything they are told.

Point: Do not believe everything you hear to be true of an entire population. I'm sure there are snobby French people - just as there are snobby Americans, Italians, etc. But I'm sure there are kind ones, fun ones, and reserved ones too. It is impossible that the people who inhabit any given country are all the same.

Even what Johnathan Mark has said is a stereotype of Americans. I am sure there are people like he described. But we do not all think people who cannot speak English well, or have an accent are less intelligent. We do not all think alike, period.
Uriel   Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:42 pm GMT
I don't think it's the French accent that is considered snobby -- unless it's being used on you by a Parisian waiter (in which case, they probably ARE being snotty with you -- but the food makes it all worth it!).

However, we've discussed before that some of the French terms that have been borrowed into English from time to time, like artiste and haute cuisine and couture and coiffure, are often used in a snobby way by English-speakers who are trying to sound high class. But that's a whole different issue than actual speakers of the French language using their native accent!

And as far as I know, Belgian is a completely neutral and stereotype-free nationality as far as Americans are concerned. So I'm sorry, but I can't even make fun of you, Pauline! ;)
Pauline   Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:02 pm GMT
Tiffany and Uriel,

Thanks for your responses :) I have the opportunity to visit the US. It would be during the next summer, and I would like very much to go, but I wouldn't like if they'll be hostile because it's far away. So if I'd know what's arrogant (they find) then I can try to not do this. I hesitate about the trip, but I know it's the best way to learn a language and in school I don't have good grades for it.
Robin   Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:43 am GMT
When I got on the plane from Gdansk to Edinburgh, I asked the woman in the seat next to me: "Where are you going?" She replied: "I am going to Britain"

End of Conversation !!!
Uriel   Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:34 am GMT
I doubt that you will find very many people who will be unfriendly to you on an individual basis, Pauline, no matter where you are from. Most Americans who hear a person speak with a foreign accent, especially a European one, are more likely to be curious about you rather than hostile, and you may even find that it works to your advantage as an icebreaker in social situations.

I can't say that I have ever found anything particularly "snobby" about French accents at all, so I don't really know that I can point anything specific out to you.
Pauline   Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:08 pm GMT
Robin,
What you exactly mean - that it's better to go to Britain, or that there are many polish in Britain now, or that she / you didn't wished to continue the conversation?

Uriel,
Thanks again for your response:) Probably I will go there, because otherwise for sure I would regret it after.