Give examples of words that English is missing

Benquasha   Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:40 am GMT
I've heard, and used, a plural for 'You' where I live.

Yous - You want to make a plural? Add an 's'! (Only works when you're speaking though.

As for 'You Guys" - it's used all the time here, when addressing friends. If you said "You ladies" You're usually talking to a group of women that you don't know or you are from the older generation.
Alicia   Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:39 pm GMT
"You lot": It's gender-neutral.
Ed   Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:28 pm GMT
In Afrikaans the word for "the day after tomorrow" is "oormôre" and "the day before yesterday" is "eergister".
american   Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:48 pm GMT
I can think of two Russian words

zloradstvovat' - to derive pleasure from someone else's misfortune
zloradstvo- pleasure gained from someone else's misfortune
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:58 pm GMT
***to derive pleasure from someone else's misfortune***

We tend to use the German version - Schadenfreude
j   Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:51 am GMT
american:"I can think of two Russian words
zloradstvovat' - to derive pleasure from someone else's misfortune
zloradstvo- pleasure gained from someone else's misfortune"

May be "gloat" will do?
2 : gloat: to observe or think about something with triumphant and often malicious satisfaction, gratification, or delight <gloat over an enemy's misfortune>Webster
Kirk   Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:57 am GMT
<<May be "gloat" will do? >>

"Gloat" isn't really the same thing as "Schadenfreude," tho. As Damian indicated, if English speakers need to express that concept the word "Schadenfreude" (obviously taken from German) is commonly used.
j   Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:37 am GMT
Vladimir Nabokov who had a great command of the three european languages from his very childhood (Ryssian, English, French) felt the lack of the russian word "poshlost'':

http://seell.rutgers.edu/Novel%20I%20folder/Nabokov-Poshlost.html
Gabriel   Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:17 pm GMT
Borges said once that some shades of meaning can't be put in certain languages because the mechanics of the language simply won't allow it. In particular, you can translate "Estaba solita" from English into Spanish as "She was all alone." But "Estaba sentadita" (which conveys affection and tenderness on the part of the speaker) has no clear and direct way of translating into English.
american   Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:52 am GMT
Yeah, you do have a point, but even though schadenfreude is sometimes used, we don't have any term of our own to express such an emotion.
Geoff_One   Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:08 am GMT
From previous messages:

dianteday = the day before yesterday

trianteday = the day before the day before yesterday

dipostday = the day after tomorrow

tripostday = the day after the day after tomorrow
Travis   Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:14 am GMT
>>As for 'You Guys" - it's used all the time here, when addressing friends. If you said "You ladies" You're usually talking to a group of women that you don't know or you are from the older generation.<<

>>"You lot": It's gender-neutral.<<

Actually, in at least the dialect here, "you guys" *is* gender-neutral, despite the etymology of "guys", and may very well be used to refer to groups of individuals who are all female.

Note though that it seems that "guys" has come to often be used in a gender-neutral fashion by itself outside of just the usage "you guys" here, so the gender-neutral-ness of "you guys" is actually not just particular to that specific usage here. However, singular "guy" is still specifically gendered here in all usages, unlike the plural "guys".
A6015LN   Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:04 am GMT
Actually, I might suggest that English isn't missing any words at all.

It has all the words its native speakers require to express themselves.

As does any language.
Lazar   Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:41 pm GMT
English is missing a word for the night before Halloween.
Free   Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:00 pm GMT
A word that English is missing is a word for neutral term referring to an uncle or a aunt.