Lay lady lay.

Glikeria   Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:02 am GMT
Or rather, Lay, lady, lay. ???
This is a greaaat song. What does LAY mean here? Haven’t been able to find out.
Uriel   Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:28 pm GMT
Lay as in lay down (or more more correctly, lie down, but "lay" is often used colloquially).

Lay, lady, lay
Lay across my big brass bed.

It's about sex, as you can imagine. Not a big fan of Bob Dylan, myself, I'm afraid.
Glikeria   Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:41 pm GMT
Tnx, Uriel. Now it's clear. I thought only foreigners confused LIE and LAY.
Uriel   Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:29 am GMT
No, it's very common for English speakers, too, which is probably where foreigners pick it up.
Hermione   Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:57 am GMT
It's one of the most successful American exports of all time, so it's pleasing to note that at least one American knows better. Please pass the word around. All we need is for American actors to use the right word for a change and it will spread quickly among the young.

As for its being a good song, even if were "Lie, Lady, Lie" it would be the worst of Dylan's efforts, perhaps the best (as sung by Peter, Paul and Mary anyway) being "The Times They Are A-Changin'", with its rhythm and chillingly-accurate prediction of the dreadful world we now have.
Glikeria   Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:49 am GMT
The worst, you say? I am fascinated by the melody and to my mind it's the melody that makes hits, not the lyrics. Eminem might be telling something very smart and witty, but I don't care, because it's not music to me.
Judging by the fact "The Times They Are A-Changin " doesn't ring the bell, it must have been ranking lower in the charts.