Spoken English Question

Seayuan   Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:37 am GMT
Hi my friends here,

I have some difficulties of understanding the following converstation. I am wondering if someone could tell me the meanings.
Thank you in advance!!

- Kim: Oh, yeah! I had a blast! I love sweading like a pig with a buncha lardos with pot bellies who all reek ta high heaven. Sorry, I’m jus’ nod inta this health kick.
- Liz: Oh, ged off it. It wasn’t such a killer class. Guy, don’t be such a wuss. Ya jus’ hafta ged into it. Like they say, no pain, no gain.
Guest   Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:44 pm GMT
Kim: Oh yes, I thought it was fun. I like exercising close to fat people who have an unpleasant odor issuing forth from the bodies. Sorry, the first two statements are false. (= I really do not enjoy exercising close to fat people who have an unpleasant odor issuing forth from their bodies.

Liz: Stop complaining. The class was not as bad as you thought. Dude, do not be so weak. It is necessary for one to become familiar with with the class, and perform the exercises multiple times before one may enjoy the exercise class. As many exercise experts have said: if exercise is not painful to the body, there is no reason to perform it. Exercise is only useful if it causes the body to be strained/in great pain.
Guest   Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:53 pm GMT
blast = a fun time [sarcastic in this story]
sweading = representation of sweating as pronounced in North American English.
like a pig = supposedly a pig expels much sweat
buncha = multiple
lard = fat; -o = person
pot bellies: a certain type of pig, that is fat = a person with a large stomach

reek = stink
ta = [t@] = pronunciation of "to" in rapid speech
high heaven = expression: up to the sky = someone who "reeks to high heaven" smells very bad
jus' = [dZis?] = just = only
nod = representation of "not" as pronounced in North American English.
inta = into = interested; not into = not interested
kick = fanaticism

get = representation of "get" [gIt] as pronounced in North American English. ; get off it = stop

killer class = strenuous and painful exercise session

guy = in reference to the other speaker. A way of avoiding saying the name of the other person. Sort of like "man" or "dude", but usually in reference to a male speaker.

wuss = a weak person

hafta' = have to = it is necessary for

get into it = become interested in it

Like they say = as experts often say

No pain, no gain = if exercise is not painful to the body, there is no reason to perform it. Exercise is only useful if it causes the body to be strained/in great pain.
Seayuan   Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:17 am GMT
Thank you two guests!
Boy   Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:21 am GMT
I think no American talks like that, full of idioms and slang... Right??
Guest   Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:52 pm GMT
>> I think no American talks like that, full of idioms and slang... Right?? <<

Of course not. We all speak King's/Queen's English ;)
Johnathan Mark   Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:18 pm GMT
I've said it before, and I'll say it again--the spelling is trying to represent speech patterns. It is very innacurate, and a better way of doing it would be using the IPA, which isn't that hard to learn. I don't know where you guys are getting this stuff (I think I've seen it before from someone other than you, Seeyuan) and I truly do think it should be avoided.
Uriel   Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:17 am GMT
Boy Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:21 am GMT
I think no American talks like that, full of idioms and slang... Right??

No, Boy, we DO talk like that all the time -- in fact, we are so used to it that we would hardly notice that much of it IS slang to the rest of the world. I would have read that as pretty straight-forward English, myself.
Chris   Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:23 pm GMT
Hmm. In my opinion, it sounds like how foreigners would talk--using way too much slang. No one around here would talk like that. It would be very jarring and annoying if someone actually had a conversation like that. Maybe for a humorous or satirical play... but even still, it sounds absolutely revolting.
Uriel   Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:14 am GMT
That particular conversation may be a little overdone, but these are all very common expressions:

I had a blast!

Sweating like a pig

Reek to high heaven

Health kick

Get off it

Don't be a wuss

Get into it

No pain, no gain

What throws me off is the use of D for the final T's. We don't use D's there; we just don't aspirate the T's. Transcribing them as D's makes these speakers sound like they have a head cold!