Mike - The Sample

Deborah   Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:56 pm GMT
Mike, I wouldn't mistake you for an American (it's pretty hard to sound like a native), but it's obvious that the accent you learned (or the accent you're striving for at this point) is American.
Mike   Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:22 pm GMT
Thank you so much, Deborah!

Yeah, you're right ... it's hard to sound like a native, many people think it's impossible. yeah, there are people who sound more like natives, but sometimes they make mistakes and give them away ... it's pretty hard ...
Actually, I've not been to the USA, and i've been learning phonetics and the american accent for 3-4 months ...
But I'm gonna work on it, because I believe everything's possible ...

btw, where are you from?
Deborah   Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:31 am GMT
Mike, I'm from San Francisco. I grew up here and have lived here most of my life. I went to college in North Carolina and spent 8 years of my adult life in New York City. Where in the US have you been? And which part of Russia are you from? I've been to Moscow, St. Petersburg, Novgorod, several cities of the Golden Ring, Pushkinske Gori and Mihkailovskoye. Oh, and Tbilisi -- I was there when it was part of the Soviet Union.
Mike   Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:29 am GMT
No, I have NOT been to the USA ( I wrote "I've not been ...").

I live in Siberia, I grew up here and have lived here for all my life ... I'm a student, I study linguistics ... so, English is my fave language (i prefer American, but in my uni we study British). I'm planning to vist the USA next year!!!
Candy   Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:39 am GMT
Hi Mike,
Congrats on your excellent English!!
Can I just ask why you prefer American English? (That's not a criticism, but a genuine question!) Do you really find a big difference between US and UK English? What about other varieties, eg Australian, Irish, South African English?
You haven't been to the US, but have you visited another English-speaking country?
Mike   Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:13 pm GMT
Hi, Candy! Thank you!

I prefer it to British, because my good friends and sidekicks speak it, some of my friends are American, and they speak American of course, my fave band is Bon Jovi, they're American, I'm planning to go to the USA, etc. There are many points!

Sure, I love British, i like Cockney, the way it sounds, i love Basildon accent (the leader of Depeche Mode speaks it, but actually it's a mix of American and British, cuz he lives in the US), etc ... the same with other varieties. English is English! When people speak normal or standard English using no slang terms, there is no big difference between US and UK English!

No, I have visited no English-speaking country, but I hope I will
Candy   Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:34 pm GMT
Hi Mike!
I love British>>
I like you more already!! ;)
I agree with you that there are no big differences between US and UK English - I think they are often exaggerated. Having said that, one of the things I like most about English is the fact that there ARE differences - eg, South African English is immediately distinguishable from Irish English - but that they're mutually understandable! It makes things much more interesting!
Where are you planning to go in the US? I'm envious, it's many years since I went there. I hope you get the chance to visit other English-speaking countries too (I recommend Britain) ;)
So, Siberia....pretty cold, huh?!
Mike   Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:00 pm GMT
Hi, Candy!

Yeah, it's true, we have very cold winters, but our summers are hot (like in California)

I want to go to New Jersey, but it'll be OK to visit any state! California is a nice place to go too! Anyplace!!!!

Mike,
Candy   Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:03 pm GMT
Hi Mike!
I once spent a winter in Poland, and we had minus 25, which was pretty damn cold for me - but qute mild for you, I imagine?!
I've never been to New Jersey, only New York and Seattle. New York was fantastic.
Mike   Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:10 pm GMT
25 is OK! We have 35, sometimes 40! But I'm used to it!
Candy   Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:22 pm GMT
Mike, you're learning German as well?? Is your German the same standard as your English?
Mike   Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:12 pm GMT
no, my german is bad. i don't speak it very well, but my pronunciation is not bad (like some germen said), but I'm learning it right now, and it'll be ok someday
Candy   Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:38 pm GMT
Hi Mike!
Did some Germans tell you your pronunciation is bad? That's not very nice! I speak German quite fluently because I live in Germany (I'm an English teacher) but it's not always very accurate - I make a lot of mistakes with the endings.
Anyway, I might be able to help you with your German, if you like. Or with your English (not that you seem to need it!) - just let me know!
Sander   Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:54 pm GMT
=>I speak German quite fluently because I live in Germany <=

Und Sie haben zu mir gesagt, dass du kein Deutsch spricht! ):/
Mike   Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:21 pm GMT
Hi, Candy!

No, I meant that I've been studying German for 6 months, and I had no real practise, coz I'm in english :)) But my German teacher taught me how to pronounce every sound and every word correctly, and I talked to germen and they said that everything's clear and I do it good, but actually I can't communicate using German ...

Tnx, Candy, it'll be great to be in touch with you, coz I love nice people and if i have some probs or just questions, I can ask you!!! Great!!! You are an English teacher, it means that you're from UK?