Difference in the two ''r's'' in ''rare'' in rhotic accents.

SpaceFlight   Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:07 am GMT
Don't the two r's in ''rare'' sound differently phonetically in rhotic accents? I read somewhere that the first ''r'' in ''rare'' was a labialized ''r''. Thus, wouldn't a more accurate transcription of ''rare'' in rhotic accents be [r\_wEr\] rather than [r\Er\], because I can clearly hear a difference between the two ''r's'' in ''rare''?
Mxsmanic   Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:24 am GMT
The two rhotics are the same.
Trawick   Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:49 pm GMT
I do make the slight distinction between the two that you mentioned, spaceflight. It's just easier to slightly labialize the first "r" for me.

To be fair, though, I don't really realize the final "r" in "rare" as [r\]. Rather, the final schwa in the dipthong is rhotacized (or "r-colored")--[w\_E@']
Kirk   Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:27 am GMT
Yeah, there are various ways of transcribing such sounds--I tend to transcribe my "rare" as [r\Er\], even tho it may actually be to some degree a rhotacized [E] + quick [@`]. Transcription practice varies but either way people know what you're talking about.
Uriel   Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:20 pm GMT
The two r's are the same for me.
Lazar   Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:54 pm GMT
Yeah, I think that for me the first R is a bit labialized and the second one isn't. I would transcribe my "rare" as [r\E@`]. (I would transcribe my "Mary" as [mE@`i] and my "merry" as [mEr\i], by the way.)