What are the synonym and antonym of "Cool"

Van Tan   Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:18 pm GMT
Hi all,
Could anyone, especially native English speakers, give me a help?
I am finding a formal word which has equivalent meaning to the word "cool" (attractive, good-looking and different), and its antonym?
Or in English, as a native speaker, what word can you use as a replacement for the word "cool" when you want to express this sense in a document? and its antonym?
I need the formal words because these two words would appear in a questionnaire.
Thank all of you in advance!
Uriel   Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:49 am GMT
Well, the obvious antonym = uncool.
Joe   Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:38 am GMT
cool = hip, flash, fashionable.
uncool = passé, outdated, old-fashioned.
Ryan   Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:07 am GMT
I usually use "lame" colloquially as an antonym of cool. If something is not cool, I'll often just say, "that's lame," or "that sucks."
Deborah   Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:42 am GMT
Doesn't cool still have several meanings, depending on the situation?
Van Tan   Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:07 pm GMT
Thank friends,
+To Deborah:
Yes, it has multi-meaning and its meaning changes depending on context, e.g. decribing human characteristic or describing appearance of someone or something.
+To other friends:
What I want to express is that "cool" mean "good-looking or attractive+fashionable+distinctive". Specifically, I want to said about "car" in general. If we compare car with other vehicles, "Car is cool"? which means that in general car is more good-looking, attractive and distinctive than other vehicles like bus, bike ect.
So in this case instead of using an informal word of "cool" , what word is the best choice in formal writing? (And the correspondent antonym?)
Another thing is that: I wonder if it is possible to use "cool" to describe car in general other than a specific car?
Best.
kkk   Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:19 pm GMT
kkkjgyg
Sarah   Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:53 am GMT
<<Deborah Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:42 am GMT
Doesn't cool still have several meanings, depending on the situation?>>

Why do you use question here??
Can you say "Cool doesn't still have several meanings etc ?
love   Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:29 am GMT
u r so cool !
sarah   Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:37 am GMT
awesome
s   Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:54 am GMT
grool is also cool
Milton   Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:45 pm GMT
synonym: awesome
antonym: gross
yo yo yo   Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:18 am GMT
cool: kool
not cool: uncool

fo no shizzle
Guest   Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:24 am GMT
fo zhizzle ma nizzle on da hizzle fo' yo mamma's vaganizzle
Skippy   Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:36 pm GMT
I tend to use cool in formal situations as well (though I probably shouldn't) but, as it is kind of a catch-all, it would depend on the context... It could be "awesome" "interesting" "wonderful" or a myriad of other things.

vaganizzle? lol wow...