What ya think better? English or Australian accent?

kama   Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:29 pm GMT
aussie accent sounds terrible to me.

like most people, i prefer american english.
Wen   Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:03 pm GMT
Inner city Aussie accent sounds nice. Sure I can't stand the way they speak in the outback & bush. I remember there was an article a long time ago saying pommies wanted Aussies to speak properly. Well so what is the proper way to speak English?
Joey   Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:57 pm GMT
"pommies wanted Aussies to speak properly"

I wonder if the English and Americans Know what "pommies" means.
Jim   Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:46 am GMT
Kama, by the way, has done a poll on this and has shown that most people prefer the American accent.
Presley.   Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:52 am GMT
I'm just about tired of poorly-educated Americans who cannot make the distinctions between Britain, Great Britain, and England.

It also tires me to see these poorly-educated Americans lumping together the great variety of accents spoken throughout Britain as if they were all the same thing.
Kirk   Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:45 am GMT
<<It also tires me to see these poorly-educated Americans lumping together the great variety of accents spoken throughout Britain as if they were all the same thing.>>

Well did it occur to you it has less to do with education than actual familiarity with accents? Comparatively few people from the UK are able to distinguish between the typical speaker from, say, Los Angeles as compared to one from New Jersey as compared to one from Toronto, etc. while North Americans are likely to notice such differences in accent.

For that matter comparatively few people from the UK are great at distinguishing between an accent from Melbourne as compared to one from Christchurch, much to the ire of Antipodean English speakers who can spot the differences a mile away.

It all has to do with what you're familiar with.
wen   Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:41 pm GMT
Nah, I don't see the connection between being uneducated and not able to distinguish accents.
Presley.   Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:39 am GMT
O.K.

Sorry about that.
Jim   Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:53 am GMT
"... spot the differences a mile away ..." nah, it's only Americans who speak that loudly. ;-)
Uriel   Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:59 am GMT
Yes, Joey, we know what it means.
Rene   Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:01 pm GMT
I like both i different ways. Most english accents sound very formal to me and Australian ones sound laid back. Kinda like the difference between a Californian (not valley-girl style) and a Texan.
Tracy   Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:20 pm GMT
Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!
steve   Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:15 pm GMT
i love the somerselt accent, they've got the most laid back english accent you can get, but if you go up to the north west of england to say liverpool? they speak so quickly you can't understand what they are saying.
I hate the yanky accent, there all loud mouths who think they are a cut above every1 else
Guest   Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:17 pm GMT
the worst english speaking accent is south african, i cant stand it!!
rozane   Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:38 am GMT
i'm a filipino, i prefer to australian accent because its so unique
and distinctive to english accent. go aussies and filipinos!