Flawless American accent on the part of Danish Speakers

LAA   Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:16 pm GMT
I actually just met a Danish man the other day, who had a very thick accent, and didn't speak much English. All his "j's" were pronounced like "y's".

But I want to know something. Are all you Danes so damn tall? The Danes I 've met look like the "Viking" sterotype. Pale skin, very blonde hair, or at least very light, and grey eyes, or blue/green/hazel. And they're all so tall. Every single Danish man I have ever met are all over six feet, and I've met about 20 of them! The women are tall too. The ones I've met have all been over 5'7.
Fredrik from Norway   Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:59 pm GMT
True! Norway and Sweden is nothing compared to the incredible blondness of Denmark. The Danes are still as Thomas Mann described them in "Tonio Kröger:
"those who are blond, blue-eyed, brightly feisty, happy, likable and ordinary...."

Guest wrote:
"They are also the most racist mo' fo's in the world. They treat their
a-rabs like shie -yte."
It's true that Danish politics have taken a right-wing turn the last years. But I really don't blame the Danes. They have created one of the nicest, most tolerant societies in the world and have combined joy of life with an efficient modern model society. When immigrants don't want to integrate themselves 100 % into that society; I would also be offended.

Perhaps the Danes are over-reacting a bit, but remember that Denmark has always been a vulnerable little thing. In the 18th and 19th century Denmark was on the verge on being exterminated by German language, culture and nationalism. And the land itself is also vulnerable, environmentally; almost all of it is slowly undulating farmland.
guest   Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:15 am GMT
I think the Danes are the best non-native English speakers in the world. But of course they have competition. Some say the Dutch are better, but the Dutch have non-English speaking regions. My prize goes to the Danes.
emilio   Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:08 am GMT
"Norway and Sweden is nothing compared to the incredible blondness of Denmark."

I have been to all of those three countries in the last ten years and I also found out that there aren't so many blondes in Sweden and especially in Norway, as most people claim. But the funny thing is that those Danish people I know are actually really black-haired, except for one who has brown hair. I've been to Århus two years ago and I somehow didn't have the impression that there are particularly plenty of blondes.
I think countries like Finland, Esthonia or Latvia have by far the highest rate of blond hair!
Steve   Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:38 am GMT
That's very true - Norwegians are not predominantly blonde, in my experience and there are a lot more people with red hair there than you'd expect!
emilio   Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:36 pm GMT
"The Danes are still as Thomas Mann described them in "Tonio Kröger:
"those who are blond, blue-eyed, brightly feisty, happy, likable and ordinary...." "

Actually I haven't read this book but I heard of it. I thought it is about Germans, not Danes. And Tonio is a dark-haired guy from Southern Europe who lives in Northern Germany...?!