Right on bro!

Negrito   Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:53 pm GMT
According to the linguist Peter Trudgil, a new grammatical device has made it's way in to AAVE (Black English) " I'll be done + past participle" I'll be done killed him. Is anyone aware iwhether or not this expression is common amongst southern whites? For some reason the phrase "I'll be done killed me a nigger" echoes in mind, perhaps from the movie Mississippi Burning.

From what I've been reading concerning modern linguistics, a person can speak standard English regardless of his or her accent. So if we take away that factor, I don't see much difference between AAVE and Southern White English. I'd bevery interested to read what anyone has to say on this topic
other guest   Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:13 am GMT
no its not, and what you're thinking of is ebonics. and that sentance made no sense.
southern whites are classier than any other american
Uriel   Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:46 am GMT
<<According to the linguist Peter Trudgil, a new grammatical device has made it's way in to AAVE (Black English) " I'll be done + past participle" I'll be done killed him. Is anyone aware iwhether or not this expression is common amongst southern whites? >>

Uh ... I've never even heard BLACK people say that!

Sure you've got your tenses straight?

The proper construction is "I'VE done killed him" -- not "I'LL BE done." And that one IS used by both blacks and whites in the south.