The figure for the distance of Romanian from Latin

Aldvs   Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:46 am GMT
"what is wrong with those numbers portuguese and spanish suppose to be brothers"

----->>>>

Everything isn't how it seems. In the end, it's the 'phonology' of an language that's the most important. Spanish has an closer phonology towards Latin. While, Portuguese is further from it.
LAA   Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:00 am GMT
Yes, for example, French and Italian actually share more of a common vocabulary than Spanish and Italian do, but because Spanish phonology is so closely related to Italian's, Spanish and Italian are much more mutually intelligable than French and Italian are.

Ask any Italian, and he will tell you that French is incomprehenisble to him. And if the Italians are from the southern regions, they will often group French with German and English, for some reason. I suppose this is because French is such a flat language, the way Germanic languages are. The French don't roll their "r"s either.

Today, I was at an Italian resteraunt, whose owners were from Sicily. I said a couple of things in Italian to the wife and husband who own the place, and they suprisingly asked if I spoke Italian. I told them no, but I understand quite a bit, because i speak Spanish. So, then, he started rattling off to me in Italian, but at a slower than normal pace. I sat there stunned, because I understood what he said almost word for word. It was truly amazing.

The same could not be said for a speaker of French.
vowels   Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:31 am GMT
sarde : 8 % ;
italien : 12 % ;
castillan : 20 % ;
roumain : 23,5 % ;
occitan : 25 % ;
portugais : 31 % ;
français : 44 %.

These values are ONLY for the stressed (tonic) vowels and not for the languages evolution from Latin.
Aldvs   Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:44 am GMT
Evolution from Latin, (phonology).

sardinian : 8 % ;
italian : 12 % ;
spanish : 20 % ;
romanian : 23,5 % ;
portuguese : 31 % ;
french : 44 %.
greg   Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:32 am GMT
Non, Aldvs, tu te trompes : c'est vowels qui a raison.
greg   Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:38 am GMT
Ces chiffres sont une tarte à la crème : ils reviennent périodiquement et illustrent parfaitement •••••••••L'IGNORANCE••••••••• de ceux qui les emploient sans savoir ce qu'ils signifient.

Voici le texte •••••••••INTÉGRAL••••••••• : http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Langues_romanes

« L'on peut donner ici les résultats d'une étude menée par M. Pei en 1949, qui a comparé le degré d'évolution de diverses langues par rapport à leur langue-mère ; pour les langues romanes les plus importantes, SI L'ON NE CONSIDÈRE •••••••••QUE LES VOYELLE TONIQUES•••••••••, l'on obtient, par rapport au latin, les coefficients d'évolution suivants :

sarde : 8 % ;
italien : 12 % ;
castillan : 20 % ;
roumain : 23,5 % ;
portugais : 31 % ;
français : 44 %.

L'on voit ainsi facilement le degré variable de conservatisme des langues romanes, la plus proche du latin phonétiquement (EN NE CONSIDÉRANT •••••••••QUE LES VOYELLES TONIQUES•••••••••) étant le sarde, la plus éloignée le français. »
LAA   Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:31 pm GMT
LE IGNORANCE! LE IGNORANCE! LE IGNORANCE!

You should know Greg, that I walk around saying that all day, whenever I don't agree with anything. I shout it like you do, and with a thick French accent. lol

Michael Jackson says the same thing when he doesn't agree with something. For example, in response to any accusations, he always replies in a girly voice, "No, it's ignorant. It's all so ignorant."
greg   Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:29 pm GMT
Pour info : le message au-dessus de celui de LAA n'est pas de moi — même si c'est effectivement un copier-coller de mon truc sur Mario Pei.
Tiffany   Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:10 am GMT
Guest,
I don't think he was trying to speak Spanish when he said "LE IGNORANCE". He was trying to say it in French - this is why he talks about shouting it with a thick French accent...

He is wrong however. I believe it shoud be "l'ignorance"
fab   Sat Jul 22, 2006 2:59 am GMT
" don't think he was trying to speak Spanish when he said "LE IGNORANCE". He was trying to say it in French "

Tiffany,

It is clear that he was trying to say it in french, this is the reason we feel that he doesn't seems to know spanish. Spanish speaking peoples would have used spontaneously the french feminine article "LA", as they would do in spanish. No spanish would have naturally though that the french word was of a different genre that the spanish one - which is a very rare case.
It would have gave "LA IGNORANCE" - which, you are right, would be uncorrect because of the "I" starting, and so should be "L'ignorance",
" l' " in this case being the contration of LA.
fab   Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:00 am GMT
ERRATUM

"It is clear that he was trying to say it in spanish but in french"
Tiffany   Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:36 am GMT
I see your reasoning fab, but I was was under another impression. Is it not just as likely that he, not knowing any French and thinking it to be the most "divergent", thought that "le" was the feminine article? Anyway, that is how I saw reasoned it... I'm not sure how I came to that conclusion though.
LAA   Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:55 pm GMT
"I see your reasoning fab, but I was was under another impression. Is it not just as likely that he, not knowing any French and thinking it to be the most "divergent", thought that "le" was the feminine article? Anyway, that is how I saw reasoned it... I'm not sure how I came to that conclusion though. "

Exactly Tiffany. I'm sorry, I don't know much at all about French. In Spanish, "la" and "el" are used, as well as "las" and "los" (in plural sense) for feminine and masculine respectively. French doesn't have the same articles, and I hardly ever see "la" in French, so I took a guess and used "le", which I see in French all the time. I also see "les" all the time in the plural sense. I was obviously mistaken. In addition, Spanish does not have (L') contractions the way French does. Instead, it has things like "del" (de + el). You're a smart girl, so I'm sure you know this, but just in case. So, I didn't know if the L'IGNORANCE was "le" or "la" or something else. So I used the French article which I was most familiar with.
greg   Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:07 am GMT
LAA,

Exemples d'emploi de <la> :
la mer
la terre
la lune
la télévision
la station
la maison
la France
la Grèce

Si le substantif féminin commence par une voyelle, <la> devient <l'> :
l'abstention
l'attention
l'intention
l'Espagne
l'Allemagne
l'otarie
l'utilité
l'hystérie (le <h> ne se prononce pas)
LAA   Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:07 am GMT
"la mer
la terre
la lune
la télévision
la station
la maison
la France "

If you don't mind, I will take this opportunity to illustrate why I often relate French more with English than I do Spanish in some cases.

"mer" - I would relate this to Spanish 'mar - sea'
"terre" - I would relate this with Spanish 'tierra' - land
"lune" - I would relate this with Spanish 'luna' - moon
"television" - I would relate this with Spanish "television" (but only because of the accent marks)
"station" - I would relate this with the English "station" which is the exact same word, not the Spanish "estacion"
"maison" - I would relate this with English "mansion", not Spanish "casa"
"France" - I would relate this with English "France", which is spelled the same way, not with Spanish "Francia".

Those are just basic examples, which you yourself provided. But perhaps this is why I think of French as being the most distant Romance language. I generally think of Romance languages as having a lot of words which end in pronounced vowels like "o" or "a", with "T"s pronounced almost like an English (th) as in Taco, Tortilla, Terreno, Tio, or my own last name, Teran and "R"s that are rolled. French on the other hand, is flat like English, and lacks the same phonology that Italian and Spanish have. I also think of Romance languages as being phonetic, the way Spanish and Italian are. French is much like English in that regard, with a sharp contrast between written and spoken language.

And so many English words are spelled and pronounced almost identically as their French versions, like "boy", blue", (whereas Spanish is "nino, azul") that I often understand more French not because of similar vocabulary in Spanish, but because of its similitary to English, as English has borrowed so much of its vocabulary from French. Those are two more basic examples.

I don't know how to write tildes and accent marks on my keyboard, so excuse the lack thereof.