Till death us do part

Robert   Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:13 pm GMT
It's the subjunctive - still used, although not very often. "If I were you" still sounds better than "If I was you" in my opinion.
Deborah   Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:45 pm GMT
It's the subjunctive, and it's poetic (word order can change).
Lazar   Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:34 pm GMT
Ditto above. "Do" in this expression is the subjunctive, and "us part" is inverted word order. Another instance of inverted word order in some marriage ceremonies is the expression "I thee wed".
Deborah   Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:11 am GMT
Regarding both my example and Lazar's, could it also be that the object was once (in the dim past) supposed to come before the verb?
Travis   Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:31 am GMT
Yep. English word order can be far more flexible than people give it credit for most of the time.

--

Jep. Ingglisj wurd oarder kan by faar moor fleksibel dhan pipel giv it kreddit foar moost ov dhe taim. (Djust had tu plei moor with ingglisj oarthogrefi, dhats oal.)
greg   Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:44 am GMT
Travis : ich denke, daß <(till death) us do part> ein Verzerrung von <(till death) us depart(s)> ist. <(till death) do us part> könnte eine allerletzte Neuordnung von <(till death) us do part> sein. Frage : ist <do part> ein Partikelverb oder nur ein isoliertes Idiomatismus ?

Mitttelenglisches Beispiel :
« In vertue and holy almes-dede
They lyuen alle and neuere asonder wende
***Til deeth departeth hem*** this lyf they lede
And fareth now wel my tale is at an ende
Now Ihesu crist that of his myght may sende
Ioye after wo gouerne vs in his grace
And kepe vs alle that been in this place
Amen. »

ME <departeth> sieht wie kein Konjunktiv aus, oder ?

Könnte En <do (part)> ein Dekonstruierung von ME <depart(s)> nicht sein ? (das heißt kein Konjunktiv per se)
pabz   Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:34 am GMT
I think the modern translation would be "till death parts us." But then you lose the subjunctive, so the meaning is not EXACTLY the same.

How about "Until such time as death may part us"? :o)

"Till death do us apart" doesn't really make sense grammatically, but it's a common mis-quote of the original phrase.
Travis   Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:36 am GMT
>>Frage : ist <do part> ein Partikelverb oder nur ein isoliertes Idiomatismus ?<<

Ich glaube, dass <do> ein Hilfsverb hier ist oder <make> hier bedeutet, und es ist nicht eine Redewendung, wenn auch es ein übliche Gebrauch nicht ist.

>>ME <departeth> sieht wie kein Konjunktiv aus, oder ?<<

Ja. <departeth> sieht mir wie kein Konjunktiv auch aus.

>>Könnte En <do (part)> ein Dekonstruierung von ME <depart(s)> nicht sein ? (das heißt kein Konjunktiv per se)<<

Ich würde das ausdeuten, wie <do (part)> etwas wie <make (part)> oder <make (parted)> statt einer Dekonstruierung von ME <departen> bedeutet.
greg   Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:52 am GMT
Travis : « Ich würde das ausdeuten, wie <do (part)> etwas wie <make (part)> oder <make (parted)> statt einer Dekonstruierung von ME <departen> bedeutet. »

Ja — könnte aber diese semantische Analogie zwischen <do> und <make> wie eine synchronische (dh : nachträgliche) Erwägung nicht klingen ?

« I X take the Y to my wedded wyfe, to have and to hold from thys day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for porer, in sickenes, and in healthe, to love and to cheryshe, tyll death us *departe* ; according to Gods holy ordinaunce, and therto I plight the my trouth. »
Zwar sieht in diesem Beispiel <departe> wie ein Kunjunktiv aus.

« I take the X to my wedded wyf, to have and to holde, fro this day forwarde, for bettere for wors, for richere for pourer, in sycknesse and in hele, tyl dethe us *depart*, if holy chyrche it woll ordeyne, and therto y plight the my trouthe. »
Kein <s> : Kunjunktiv.

« I take the X to my wedded housbonde, to have and to holde, fro this day forwarde, for better for wors, for richer for pourer, in syckness and in hele, to be bonere and boxsom, in bedde and atte bord, tyll dethe us *departe*, if holy chyrche it wol ordeyne, and therto I plight the my trouthe. »
Kein <s> : Kunjunktiv.
Tan   Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:12 am GMT
It seems that the phrase above is personifying "death". But I think in actual fact it is refering to the 'till end of life' where "we shall part".

In fact, most churches in Singapore would have it said as "till death us do part."