J and Y

Presley.   Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:46 am GMT
It's pretty obvious that the consonants J and Y have a close relationship throughout the Indo-European languages. (Y often has a J sound in Spanish, Germans pronounce J as Y, etc.)

I recently realized that this phenomenon is also present in the Japanese language. Many ending particles begining in J have become Y in the Kansai-region dialects.

For example: "Soujaro?" is an archaic word meaning "Isn't it?". In modern standard Japanese, it has become "Soudaro?". In the Kansai dialect, it is "Soyaro?".

There are so many other examples of this happening in the transition from old Japanese to the Kansai-region dialects, but I won't go into them. Korean also has some similar things, but it's not as clearly defined as in Japanese.

I always thought that this phenomenon was purely an Indo-European characteristic, but it turns up in Japanese, and sometimes in Korean. I was wondering if this J-Y (or vice-versa) transition occures in other non-Indo-European languages.
Johnathan Mark   Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:16 am GMT
I think the relationship has more to do with the articulation of the letters than any language group in particular.
LAA   Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:15 pm GMT
Yeah, the other West Germanic languages always pronounce "j" with a "y" sound. For instance, the two Dutch teenagers I met this week pronounced my name "yosh" instead of "Josh".