Diet in Latin language speaking countries of Europe

French   Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:14 am GMT
LAA,

"most French restaurants serve northern French cuisine."

really? so tell us what is North french food?? I am interested to know...
Guest   Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:34 am GMT
" Yeah, in America, most French restaurants serve northern French cuisine."

??? The most worldwide famous french cuisine is the one from south-west, close to the spanish border... !
Cuisine from Lyon, often from northern italian origin and influence is also the other main representant of french food.
French food from provence, languedoc, Corsica and Nice has also a very important part in french gastronomic tradition.
Even snails, which is a stereotype of french cuisine is widely eaten in Greece, and roman people.
The french restaurants in US don't serve this ?... and don't serve red wine either ?

" No, they have dark brown hair, or as many would say in English, black hair.

And ?...
brown hair, black hair, anyway in french we have one word : brun (where is coming from brune and brunette (little brune).

" You should get a couple of books on places like Andalusia and Sicily. "

No necessito. Prefiero ir alla como cada ano. El mes proximo me voy a Malaga y Sevilla antes de ir a portugal.
La gente que voy a encontrar en Andalucia - no tan diferentes de mis vecinos : http://www.noratur.com/_imagenes/ANDALUCES.jpg
http://www.filosofia.org/bol/not/bn042n.jpg

" Every European person I meet can tell my ancestry is southern European. "

I don't care about what "ethny" people think you "look like". This is a very North-American obsession. I care about your culture, your way of thinking

" And I have medium brown hair, and tanned white skin. How is that Fab? Could it have to do with the color of my eyes, and my facial features perhaps? "

You seem to look like to an average Frenchman, and then ?...
I even know some Germans and english people who look like that, they are not less english or German than the others...
fab   Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:48 am GMT
" That must've been distressing for you. "

If I go to a country I always like and to see and taste the local dishes.
Otherwise why going abroad ? Even if I recognise that the English food is not my favourite.
Fredrik from Norway   Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:52 am GMT
Saint wrote:
"What I know about Norwegian cooking is basically that too much pinnekjøtt will help to put on quite a few kilograms :("
Too much of almost anything will give you extra kilos. As pinnekjött (type of mutton meat) is usually mostly eaten for Christmas, the danger of getting obese from pinnekjött is not overwhelming.
If you really want to get obese from Norwegian food, try römmegröt - sour cream porridge with butter...
fab   Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:03 am GMT
the previous "guest" was me
Great British Food &   Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:16 pm GMT
Smoked haddock
Haggis, neeps and tatties
Kedgeree
Cod and chips
Fried whitebait and samphire
Game pie
Cornish pasties
soused herring

stilton
beenleigh blue (just as good as roquefort)

Lardy cake
Clotted cream
Apple/Rhubarb crumble and custard

Deuchar's IPA
Silver King
Cascade hops
Black sheep Ale
Sam Smith's Stout

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!! Who says traditional British food is no good?
french   Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:29 pm GMT
I repeat my question LAA:

"LAA,

Can you tell us what is North french food?? I am interested to know...

guest,
"Even snails, which is a stereotype of french cuisine is widely eaten in Greece, and roman people. "

Spain also with tomato.
LAA   Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:51 pm GMT
Si usted dice tan, pero por que usted ha contestado a mis otros postes?
Arthur   Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:43 pm GMT
Frederik from Norway,

When I was living in Sweden I found the food really heavy for my stomach. I weighted 65 kg before I went to Sweden, whitout making so much sport. When I left Sweden I weighted 81 kg!!!! I had this image about Swedish food being so similar to Norwegian food ( I read an article long time ago in this "Det Beste" magazine about Scandinavian food), but they use a lot of butter, a lot of bread and even more red meat. I was living in Västerås, not so far away from the coast... are both cuisines so different from each other?
Fredrik from Norway   Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:17 pm GMT
Arthur wrote:
"I weighted 65 kg before I went to Sweden, whitout making so much sport. When I left Sweden I weighted 81 kg!!!!"

LOL! So you really liked Swedish food, then? :-)
Seriously, the Nordic cuisine is often too heavy, salty and fat, but Scandinavians are not that overweight, so I guess it doesn't have to lead to obesity. I am no nutritionist, but my guess is that a body not used to this diet might have problems in the beginning excreting all that salt and fat.
And during the long, dark winter one is especially prone to nibble and treat oneself to something good...
I agree that the Swedish cuisine is quite similar to the Norwegian one.

In "Tonio Kröger" Thomas Mann wrote something like this about the diet in Lübeck and Denmark:
"those heavy, salty meals, which you can only stand in that salty, fresh, Nordic air...."
LoL!   Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:26 pm GMT
Guest   Thu Jul 13, 2006 6:39 pm GMT
LoL! ,

I suggest you actually check the links you provide on this forum. Because that page actually made me hungry.
French   Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:46 pm GMT
I repeat my question LAA:

"LAA,

Can you tell us what is North french food?? I am interested to know...
LAA   Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:18 pm GMT
Read my several links that I have posted throughout this thread in response to that question.
a.p.a.m.   Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:03 pm GMT
There is no such thing as Northern French food. French cuisine can be categorized as being heavy on creams and sauces. The French have invented literally hundreds of different sauces that they put on various meat dishes. Game animals, in particular, such as pheasant, quail, and goose are very popular. Much of French gastronomy comes from southwestern France. The Dordogne Valley is famous for the harvesting of geese in which the geese's liver is fattened to make the French specialty Foie Gras.